Heisenberg equation of motion -- Partial derivative question

In summary, the Heisenberg equation of motion is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a physical system. It involves taking the partial derivative of a quantity with respect to time, which allows for the prediction of a system's behavior over time. This equation has been crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels, and has led to significant advancements in the field of quantum mechanics.
LagrangeEuler
Heisenberg equation of motion for operators are given by
[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\hat{A}}{dt}=i\hbar\frac{\partial \hat{A}}{\partial t}+[\hat{A},\hat{H}][/tex].
Almost always ##\frac{\partial \hat{A}}{\partial t}=0##. When that is not the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
The logic is usually as follows: You have some fundamental operators that generate the algebra of observables. E.g., in non-relativistic QM for a single particle without spin you have ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}##, from which you can build all the operators describing other observables and particularly also the Hamiltonian. By definition ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}## are not explicitly time-dependent, i.e., in the Schrödinger picture they don't depend on time at all. In the Heisenberg picture they "move" with the full Hamiltonian, i.e., fulfilling
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \mathrm{d}_t \hat{\vec{x}}(t)=[\hat{\vec{x}},\hat{H}], \quad \mathrm{i} \hbar \mathrm{d}_t \hat{\vec{p}}(t)=[\hat{\vec{p}},\hat{H}].$$
Now any other observable is a function of ##\hat{\vec{x}}##, ##\hat{\vec{p}}## and (maybe) also explicitly of time: ##\hat{A}(\hat{\vec{x}},\hat{\vec{p}},t)##. Then in the Heisenberg picture you have a time-dependence due to the time-dependence of ##\hat{\vec{x}}## and ##\hat{\vec{p}}## as well as the explicit time dependence. In your formula the commutator takes care of the former and the partial time derivative of the latter time dependence of ##\hat{A}##. Note that in the Schrödinger picture in this case ##\hat{A}## has only the explicit time dependence and thus
$$\mathrm{d}_t \hat{A}_{\text{S}}=\partial_t \hat{A}_{\text{S}}.$$

Likes Twigg
LagrangeEuler said:
Heisenberg equation of motion for operators are given by
[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\hat{A}}{dt}=i\hbar\frac{\partial \hat{A}}{\partial t}+[\hat{A},\hat{H}][/tex].
Almost always ##\frac{\partial \hat{A}}{\partial t}=0##. When that is not the case?

If an explicit time dependence is needed in the Hamiltonian, it means that the effect of something is not modeled properly by including the particles causing it, but in an "effective" way as a time-varying potential energy function. One example is the Rabi oscillation model of the interaction between atoms and electromagnetic waves. It would be much more difficult to calculate the equivalent results if treating the electromagnetic field as an actual quantum system along with the atom or molecule.

Likes LagrangeEuler, Demystifier and vanhees71
LagrangeEuler said:
In relativistic QFT, we have an opposite example. That is, there is a very important conserved operator (i.e., [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = 0[/itex]) which depends explicitly on time (i.e., [itex]\frac{\partial A}{\partial t} \neq 0[/itex]). Do you recognise that operator? Hint: no relativistic QFT can be studied without it.

Likes dextercioby and Demystifier
samalkhaiat said:
In relativistic QFT, we have an opposite example. That is, there is a very important conserved operator (i.e., [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = 0[/itex]) which depends explicitly on time (i.e., [itex]\frac{\partial A}{\partial t} \neq 0[/itex]). Do you recognise that operator? Hint: no relativistic QFT can be studied without it.
Further hint. The angular momentum ##{\bf L}={\bf r}\times{\bf p}## is not Lorentz covariant.

Last edited:
Just to try to understand. If Hamiltonian is time-independent then there is no explicit time dependence for operators in the Hamiltonian. Is that the correct statement?

Yes. If the Hamiltonian is not explicitly time dependent it's time-independent in both the Schrödinger and the Heisenberg picture.

Of course ##\vec{L}=\vec{r} \times \vec{p}=-\vec{p} \times \vec{r}##!

Likes LagrangeEuler
Thanks. For me, Heisenberg picture is nonintuitive. Commutator of the operator of the coordinate
[tex][x_H(t),x_H(t')] \propto \sin\omega(t'-t)[/tex]
I can not understand where can I used this. And why this is important? What I can get from it?

vanhees71 said:
Of course ##\vec{L}=\vec{r} \times \vec{p}=-\vec{p} \times \vec{r}##!
Thanks for the sign correction (I've edited it now), I never find the orientation of pseudovectors intuitive. :frown:

Likes vanhees71
It's just convention.

Likes Demystifier
LagrangeEuler said:
Thanks. For me, Heisenberg picture is nonintuitive. Commutator of the operator of the coordinate
[tex][x_H(t),x_H(t')] \propto \sin\omega(t'-t)[/tex]
I can not understand where can I used this. And why this is important? What I can get from it?
Where did you get this formula from, and what's ##\omega##?

For a free particle you have (check it, that's a very intuitive example :-)):
$$\hat{x}(t)=\hat{x}_0 + \frac{1}{m} \hat{p}_0 t, \quad \hat{p}(t)=\hat{p}_0.$$
This gives
$$[\hat{x}(t),\hat{x}(t')]=[\hat{x}_0+\frac{1}{m} \hat{p}_0 t, \hat{x}_0+\frac{1}{m} \hat{p}_0 t']=\frac{\mathrm{i} \hbar}{m} (t'-t).$$

Sure, that makes sense. It's one of the few problems which can be immediately solved as in classical mechanics, because the EoM is linear (the same holds of course for the free particle and a particle moving under influence of a constastant force with ##V(\hat{x})=-F \hat{x}##, with ##F=\text{const}##).

vanhees71 said:
Sure, that makes sense. It's one of the few problems which can be immediately solved as in classical mechanics, because the EoM is linear (the same holds of course for the free particle and a particle moving under influence of a constastant force with ##V(\hat{x})=-F \hat{x}##, with ##F=\text{const}##).
That made me try to find information on whether the quantum counterparts of other isochronous classical systems (time-periodic with energy-independent period) also have a classical-like Heisenberg picture time evolution, but didn't find the answer. That kind of systems sometimes can in some cases have equally spaced energy eigenvalues when quantized, just like the simple harmonic oscillator.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/87/1/012007/pdf

Edit: Looking at Fig. 1 of this paper, it seems that the classical trajectory of an isochronous system doesn't necessarily coincide with the time evolution of expectation value ##\langle x\rangle## in the equivalent quantum version (but isn't completely different either): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/037596017990197X

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes vanhees71
Yes, it is for LHO. But I am not sure what to do with this. As in your example. When I calculate this what to do with that result?

LagrangeEuler said:
Yes, it is for LHO. But I am not sure what to do with this. As in your example. When I calculate this what to do with that result?
It just shows how similar QM is with classical mechanics in the special case of LHO. And most likely you can also use it to calculate some practical results about a system that can be described with the model of the harmonic oscillator, e.g. a vibrating chemical bond between atoms.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Heisenberg equation of motion?

The Heisenberg equation of motion is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. It is based on the principle of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. What does the Heisenberg equation of motion tell us?

The Heisenberg equation of motion tells us how the operators representing physical observables in a quantum system change with time. It allows us to calculate the time evolution of these operators and make predictions about the behavior of the system.

3. What is the role of partial derivatives in the Heisenberg equation of motion?

Partial derivatives are used in the Heisenberg equation of motion to describe the rate of change of an operator with respect to time. This allows us to determine how the operator will evolve over time and make predictions about the behavior of the system.

4. How is the Heisenberg equation of motion different from the Schrodinger equation?

The Heisenberg equation of motion and the Schrodinger equation are both fundamental equations in quantum mechanics, but they describe different aspects of a quantum system. The Schrodinger equation describes how the wave function of a system evolves over time, while the Heisenberg equation of motion describes how the operators representing physical observables in the system evolve over time.

5. What are some applications of the Heisenberg equation of motion?

The Heisenberg equation of motion has many practical applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to calculate the time evolution of physical observables in quantum systems, such as the position and momentum of particles, and to make predictions about the behavior of these systems. It is also essential in understanding and developing technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.