Helicity Op: Commuting Dirac Hamiltonian

In summary: Summary:The question about the helicity operator ## h= S . \bf{p} ## ( where S is 2 by 2 matrix, with ##\sigma^i ## on the diagonal ), that as mentioned in a reference as [arXiv:1006.1718], it commutes with the Dirac Hamiltonian ## H = \gamma^0 ( \gamma^i p^i + m ) ## equ. (3.3), due to Gamma matrices anticommutation relation, but this isn't clear for me ..Bests,S is obviously not a 2x2 matrix if it has the sigma^i on the diagonal... it's a
Safinaz
Hi there,

The question about the helicity operator ## h= S . \bf{p} ## ( where S is 2 by 2 matrix, with ##\sigma^i ## on the diagonal ), that as mentioned in a reference as [arXiv:1006.1718], it commutes with the Dirac Hamiltonian ## H = \gamma^0 ( \gamma^i p^i + m ) ## equ. (3.3), due to Gamma matrices anticommutation relation, but this isn't clear for me ..

Bests,

Physics news on Phys.org
S is obviously not a 2x2 matrix if it has the sigma^i on the diagonal... it's a 4x4 (but you write it in block form)...

Let's see in the most "primitive" way whether the statement is correct:
[itex] S \cdot p = S_1 p_1 + S_2 p_2 + S_3 p_3[/itex]

[itex] S \cdot p =\begin{pmatrix} p_3 & p_1 -ip_2& 0 & 0 \\ p_1+ip_2 & -p_3 & 0 & 0 \\ 0& 0 & p_3 & p_1-ip_2 \\ 0&0&p_1+ip_2& -p_3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

On the other hand:

[itex]H=\begin{pmatrix} m & 0 & p_3 & p_1-ip_2 \\ 0& m & p_1+ip_2 & -p_3 \\ p_3 &p_1-ip_2&-m &0 \\ p_1+ip_2&-p_3&0& -m\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Then it's easy to take:
[itex][H,h]=Hh -hH=?[/itex] I did it roughly and I guess I was able to make it vanish.

I have to think a little for the "gamma matrix" reasoning...

I also checked out: Hh-hH and found it vanish ..

So thanks and in all casses may be Gamma matrices anticommution do something here..

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can write ## S ## in terms of gamma matrices. Depending on your basis (dirac or weyl) I think its something like ##S^i = \gamma^0 \gamma_5 \gamma^i##, and then use commutation relations from there.

yup I was looking for how to write S in term of the gamma matrices :sorry: but I was unsuccessful in finding an expression.

##
S^i =\begin{pmatrix} \sigma^i & 0 \\ 0 & \sigma^i \end{pmatrix}
##

Then you can in the dirac basis use:

$$\gamma^0 = \begin{pmatrix} I_2 & 0 \\ 0 & -I_2 \end{pmatrix},\quad \gamma^k = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & \sigma^k \\ -\sigma^k & 0 \end{pmatrix},\quad \gamma^5 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & I_2 \\ I_2 & 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$ (from wikipedia)

And you just can use

$$ S^i =\begin{pmatrix} \sigma^i & 0 \\ 0 & \sigma^i \end{pmatrix} = \gamma^0 \gamma_5 \gamma^i $$

you can just do the matrix algebra by hand, i think it works. If you use weyl basis the gamma0 and gamma5 are switched.

So now we have the right formula ..

1. What is helicity in physics?

Helicity is a measure of the projection of an object's spin onto its direction of motion. It is a quantum mechanical property that is related to the angular momentum of a particle.

2. What is a Dirac Hamiltonian?

A Dirac Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that describes the dynamics of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the energy of a particle in terms of its position and momentum.

3. How does helicity relate to the commuting Dirac Hamiltonian?

The commuting Dirac Hamiltonian is a special case of the Dirac Hamiltonian that describes particles with zero rest mass, such as photons. It is also referred to as the helicity operator because it measures the helicity of these particles.

4. What is the significance of commuting in the context of the Dirac Hamiltonian?

In quantum mechanics, commuting operators are those that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's values. The commuting Dirac Hamiltonian is important because it commutes with other operators, making it a useful tool for solving quantum mechanical problems.

5. How is the commuting Dirac Hamiltonian used in physics research?

The commuting Dirac Hamiltonian is used in various research fields, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. It is used to study the behavior of particles with zero rest mass and understand their interactions with other particles and fields.