Help calculating swept volume of scroll compressor

In summary, the conversation discussed estimating the swept volume of a scroll compressor using simple values. It was determined that the diameter of each scroll is 4" and the scroll fin height or depth is 2". The volume of the compressor was calculated by subtracting the volume of the scroll fins, which were assumed to have a width of .200" and a combined length of 30". The resulting calculation was 13.132"^3 per rev, which was confirmed to be correct given the compressor intakes 360° of rotation.
fastline
I think I am having brain fade! I am trying to estimate the swept volume of a scroll compressor. I will use simple values for calculation.

Assuming the diameter of each scroll is 4" and the scroll fin height or depth is 2". If I remember correctly, the scroll will intake 360* of rotation so this might assume the volume of the compressor minus the volume of the scroll fins. Assuming the width of the fins is .200" and their combined length is 30", I might have:

2^2*pi*2 - (.200*2*30)
25.132 - 12 = 13.132"^3 per rev

?? any I way off base with 360* of intake?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you're on the right track! The formula you use is correct and since the compressor intakes 360° of rotation, your calculation is correct.

Related to Help calculating swept volume of scroll compressor

1. What is the definition of swept volume in a scroll compressor?

The swept volume of a scroll compressor is the volume of gas or fluid that is displaced by the movement of the compressor's scroll plates. It is an important parameter in determining the compressor's efficiency and performance.

2. How do you calculate the swept volume of a scroll compressor?

The swept volume can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the scroll plates by the length of the stroke of the compressor. This can be expressed as V = A x L, where V is the swept volume, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the stroke length.

3. What factors can affect the swept volume of a scroll compressor?

The swept volume of a scroll compressor can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the scroll plates, the angle of the scrolls, the length of the stroke, and the clearance between the scrolls. Changes in these parameters can result in variations in the swept volume.

4. How does the swept volume impact the performance of a scroll compressor?

The swept volume directly affects the displacement of the compressor, and therefore, its capacity and efficiency. A larger swept volume will result in a higher capacity and efficiency, while a smaller swept volume will result in a lower capacity and efficiency.

5. Are there any methods to optimize the swept volume of a scroll compressor?

There are several methods to optimize the swept volume of a scroll compressor, such as adjusting the angle and shape of the scrolls, increasing the stroke length, and reducing the clearance between the scrolls. These methods can help improve the compressor's performance and efficiency.