Help finding obscure coefficient of friction

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficient of friction for rubber on wood for a homework assignment. The person is having trouble locating the value and is asking for help. The wood used is not polished and the rubber is similar to a hockey puck. A suggested estimate can be found in Fig. 10 of a link provided by @haruspex.
LESLEY

Homework Statement

I have a homework assignment that requires me to use the coefficient of static and kinetic friction for rubber on wood. I cannot locate this value anywhere so far.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched and searched and I cannot find the answer so far. Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
How smooth is the wood? The number could vary dramatically depending on both the smoothness of the wood and the type and smoothness of the rubber.

Likes Nidum
Charles Link said:
How smooth is the wood? The number could vary dramatically depending on both the smoothness of the wood and the type and smoothness of the rubber.
Thanks for your reply. I guess if there's a range out there somewhere I could go with that. It's not a value I'm required to calculate - he just wants us to use that number to compare with our experiment results. However I can't find a chart that has the coefficient of friction with those materials. The wood isn't polished - just like a 2x4 that came from home depot, and the rubber would be similar to a hockey puck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Charles Link
I found http://catalog.lib.kyushu-u.ac.jp/handle/2324/23785/p147.pdf
(Google search engine)

Likes Charles Link
haruspex said:
I found http://catalog.lib.kyushu-u.ac.jp/handle/2324/23785/p147.pdf
(Google search engine)
@LESLEY , it looks like Fig. 10 of this "link" from @haruspex may give you a good estimate.

1. What is a coefficient of friction?

A coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the force pressing the two surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface over the other by the force pressing the two surfaces together. This can be done experimentally by measuring the force and using mathematical equations, or it can be found in tables or charts for common materials.

3. What is an obscure coefficient of friction?

An obscure coefficient of friction refers to a specific or uncommon value for the coefficient of friction between two surfaces. This may be for materials that are not commonly used or studied, or for unique combinations of materials that have not been extensively researched.

4. Why is it important to find an obscure coefficient of friction?

Understanding the coefficient of friction is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and materials science. An obscure coefficient of friction may be necessary for accurately predicting the behavior and performance of a system or material, and can also help identify potential issues or limitations.

5. How can I find an obscure coefficient of friction?

Finding an obscure coefficient of friction may require research, experimentation, or consultation with experts in the field. Resources such as scientific databases, textbooks, and technical papers can also provide valuable information on coefficients of friction for various materials and surfaces.