Help for Extended Essay related to Fluids Viscosity

In summary, the speaker, Tsering, is a student studying at Mahindra UWC of India. They are working on a physics extended essay that explores how the cross section area of a cylinder affects the rate of slowing down when dropped into water. Tsering plans to gather data on water's viscosity index and other factors, but is struggling to approach their physics teacher for guidance.
tnorkhangpa
Hi,
I am Tsering and am studying in the Mahindra UWC of India. I am doing a physics extended essay on How the cross section area of an object(cylinder) will affect the rate of slowing down of the object when dropped from a certain height into a fluid (water in my case). I will try to find the viscosity index of water and some other things as well. Can you please guide me through this things as I am not able to approach my physics teacher.
Thanks a lot.
Tsering

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to be more specific. If you need help with general concepts, you should read about them in books or on the internet. We can help you with specific questions if you need.

Related to Help for Extended Essay related to Fluids Viscosity

What is the concept of viscosity in fluids?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property that determines how easily a fluid can be deformed or how much it resists being sheared by an external force. In simpler terms, it refers to how thick or sticky a fluid is.

How does temperature affect the viscosity of fluids?

Temperature has a direct effect on the viscosity of fluids. Generally, as temperature increases, the viscosity of a fluid decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules in a fluid have more energy and are able to move more freely, resulting in a lower resistance to flow.

What factors can affect the viscosity of a fluid?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect the viscosity of a fluid include pressure, shear rate, and the presence of impurities or additives. Additionally, the type of fluid and its molecular structure also play a role in determining its viscosity.

How is viscosity measured in fluids?

The most common unit used to measure viscosity is the poise (P). In some cases, the kinematic viscosity is also used, which is measured in centistokes (cSt). There are various instruments used to measure viscosity, such as viscometers and rheometers, which apply a known force to a fluid and measure its resulting flow rate.

What are some real-world applications of understanding fluid viscosity?

Understanding fluid viscosity is crucial in various industries, such as oil and gas, food and beverage, and pharmaceuticals. It is also important in fields such as engineering, where it is used to design and optimize the flow of fluids in pipes and channels. Additionally, understanding viscosity is essential in predicting the behavior of natural phenomena like ocean currents and weather patterns.