Help, in comsol how to set a perfect plane wave (3D)?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a plane wave as an illumination field for 3D scattering simulation, with a cubic configuration surrounded by PML. One interior boundary is set as a Transition Boundary Condition with Ex=1 (x-polarized plane wave propagating along z direction), and the outermost boundary is set as PEC (perpendicular to Ex) and PMC (perpendicular to Hy). The two questions asked are: (1) what boundary condition should be set in the Z direction along the incident beam, and (2) whether the incident plane wave is set correctly. Several prior threads on the topic are mentioned as resources.
jackie_young
Hello everyone,

I am recently doing some 3D scattering simulation. I use a plane wave as the illumination field,specifically i set a cubic configuration surrounded by PML. I chose one interior boundary and set it as Transition Boundary Condition and set the Ex=1 (x-polarized plane wave propagating along z direction). I also set the outmost boundary as PEC (perpendicular to Ex) and PMC (perpendicular to Hy). I have two questions in fact:

(1) what boundary condition should i set in the Z direction (along the incident beam),PMC?PEC? or others ?

(2) whether i am right to set the incident plane wave in such a way ?

Thanks a lot !:rofl:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
We have several prior threads that can help you.
https://www.physicsforums.com/search/25855/?q=comsol++plane+wave&o=relevance

1. How do I define a plane wave in COMSOL?

To define a plane wave in COMSOL, you need to first create a source point for the wave. Then, go to the "Physics" tab and select "Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain." Under the "Sources" section, choose "Plane Wave" and enter the necessary parameters such as direction, polarization, and frequency.

2. What is the difference between a perfect plane wave and a general plane wave in COMSOL?

A perfect plane wave is a simplified version of a general plane wave that has a constant amplitude and phase across its entire wavefront. This type of wave is useful for modeling simple scenarios, while a general plane wave allows for more flexibility in terms of varying amplitudes and phases along the wavefront.

3. How can I ensure that my plane wave is perfectly incident on my model?

To ensure that your plane wave is incident on your model without any reflections or distortions, you can use the "Perfect Matched Layers" boundary condition. This will absorb any outgoing waves and ensure that only the incident wave interacts with your model.

4. Can I use a plane wave as a source in a time-dependent simulation?

Yes, you can use a plane wave as a source in a time-dependent simulation by selecting the "Time Dependent" option under the "Time and Frequency Settings" for the plane wave source. You can also adjust the frequency and time step to accurately capture the behavior of the wave over time.

5. How do I visualize the propagation of a plane wave in 3D?

To visualize the propagation of a plane wave in 3D, you can use the "Electric Field (norm)" or "Magnetic Field (norm)" visualization options. These will show the magnitude of the electric or magnetic field at each point in space, allowing you to see how the wave propagates through your model.