Help making decision on what to study to work on spacecraft

In summary, the conversation discusses the best route to a career involving propulsion systems and launch vehicles in space. The individual is considering studying aerospace engineering, but has also been offered a course in electronic engineering with a focus on space technology at the University of Surrey. They are unsure if having an electronics degree specializing in space systems would be preferred by employers over a mechanical aerospace degree. They also mention concerns about the job opportunities available with an electronic engineering degree. The other person in the conversation advises them to consider the courses offered in both programs and to clarify any misunderstandings about what each program entails before making a decision.
2ded12
I need help picking the best route to a careers to do with propulsion systems in space and launch vehicles. Initially, I would have pick the obvious course for this which is aerospace engineering, which most jobs want as basic requirement. But now I understand that the electronics course at this university that I'm going to is more associated with space technology. Now I'm going to University of Surrey and I have two offers for both electronic engineering and aerospace engineering. The electronic engineering course offer more to do with spacecraft and having access to the facilities that deals with spacecraft where as the aerospace course not so much happens with spacecraft until masters. There is a masters course that deals with space systems separately but when I ask them about doing that course with an aerospace degree they where very vague about it, saying it possible but less change of getting in against people with an electronics degree.
So I'm asking is there anyone who has either in the aerospace industry working on spacecraft or launch systems or someone who has study these courses at the University of Surrey and tell me how they are in terms of astronautical engineering how they are? I have been to the open day, talk to people there but it still very vague. Would an employer care if I had an electronics degree specializing space systems rather than a mechanical aerospace degree? sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors and mile long sentences.

Physics news on Phys.org
2ded12 said:
I need help picking the best route to a careers to do with propulsion systems in space and launch vehicles. Initially, I would have pick the obvious course for this which is aerospace engineering, which most jobs want as basic requirement. But now I understand that the electronics course at this university that I'm going to is more associated with space technology. Now I'm going to University of Surrey and I have two offers for both electronic engineering and aerospace engineering. The electronic engineering course offer more to do with spacecraft and having access to the facilities that deals with spacecraft where as the aerospace course not so much happens with spacecraft until masters. There is a masters course that deals with space systems separately but when I ask them about doing that course with an aerospace degree they where very vague about it, saying it possible but less change of getting in against people with an electronics degree.
So I'm asking is there anyone who has either in the aerospace industry working on spacecraft or launch systems or someone who has study these courses at the University of Surrey and tell me how they are in terms of astronautical engineering how they are? I have been to the open day, talk to people there but it still very vague. Would an employer care if I had an electronics degree specializing space systems rather than a mechanical aerospace degree? sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors and mile long sentences.
Spacecraft have a lot of mechanical aspects as well as electrical aspects. As a result there is a WIDE variety of engineering disciplines that work on them. So what do you want to do with the spacecraft in particular?
If you want to do propulsion systems there will be the mechanical design, thermal design, fluid layout, control techniques, electronics to implement the controls, etc

Spacecraft have a lot of mechanical aspects as well as electrical aspects. As a result there is a WIDE variety of engineering disciplines that work on them. So what do you want to do with the spacecraft in particular?
If you want to do propulsion systems there will be the mechanical design, thermal design, fluid layout, control techniques, electronics to implement the controls, etc
I understand that, but for some reason it sounds like the electronics course is offering more of those things to do with spacecraft at lease I assume. It must do because they have classes on mission design, propulsion, structure and mechanisms. This sounds like something that should be aerospace course but is in the electronics course. I want to know can I study this and still have a chance with jobs similar to http://www.spacex.com/careers/position/6942 for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
2ded12 said:
I understand that, but for some reason it sounds like the electronics course is offering more of those things to do with spacecraft at lease I assume. It must do because they have classes on mission design, propulsion, structure and mechanisms. This sounds like something that should be aerospace course but is in the electronics course. I want to know can I study this and still have a chance with jobs similar to http://www.spacex.com/careers/position/6942 for example.
that jobs posting is 100% for a mechanical position. If your electronics major offers courses on structures and propulsion and your aerospace/mechanical program doesn't, then I would rethink going to that school.

That being said, I think you are misreading/understanding what that electronics and aerospace program entails.

Last edited by a moderator:
that jobs posting is 100% for a mechanical position. If your electronics major offers courses on structures and propulsion and your aerospace/mechanical program doesn't, then I would rethink going to that school.
That being said, I think you are misreading/understanding what that electronics and aerospace program entails.
I mean if I'm not understanding(which I think I'm not understanding) then what do those courses entail then? what does an propulsion, structure and mechanisms classes entail on an electronic course then? I really don't know. The course structure is here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/electronic-engineering-space-systems. Like I said I have been to the university, it the best place in the UK for this type of stuff but I cloud not get I clear answer on these problems. If there is anyone who done this course could you tell me if it's worth doing. Thank you for your reply.

2ded12 said:
I mean if I'm not understanding(which I think I'm not understanding) then what do those courses entail then? what does an propulsion, structure and mechanisms classes entail on an electronic course then? I really don't know. The course structure is here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/electronic-engineering-space-systems. Like I said I have been to the university, it the best place in the UK for this type of stuff but I cloud not get I clear answer on these problems. If there is anyone who done this course could you tell me if it's worth doing. Thank you for your reply.
ok. first off that looks like a very good EE program.

Like i said in one of my previous posts there is a lot that goes into spacecraft design. The EE aspect is only one small part of it.

I do see that there is a structure and mechanisms class offered in your later years, however that is not the empshesis of this course, and therefore it most likely will not be your strength. If you want to deal primarily in the STRUCTURE of the spacecraft you may want to consider other options. I will be back in one hour and will elaborate

thank you :)

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/aerospace-engineering

so above is the link to the aerospace program you were talking about (I think). There are space classes available, however fewer are listed. This either means there are less classes offered (due to the programe being smaller or crosslisting) or they simply arent listed on the website. Now as far as taking classes. Most programs will allow you to take classes offered by other majors providing you meet the requirements.

that brings me to my next point
the below is extracted from the space structures research group at the college. http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/index.htm

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/astrodynamics/index.htm The study of the dynamics of spacecraft . This subject includes mission analysis, satellite orbital motions; spacecraft attitude, guidance, navigation and control and estimation.
Autonomy & Robotics (STAR Lab) Autonomy & modelling, visual navigation, modern control theories, robot-soil interaction and biomimetic mechanisms, with applications to various space systems including rovers, manipulators, drills and penetrators.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/controlsystems/index.htm Design and implementation of control algorithms for a variety of industries, including robotics, aerospace and animation. The group has experience in the design of hardware and mechatronic systems and actuators based on electromagnetic levitation.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/onboarddata/index.htm FPGAs, hardware accelerated compression and signal processing.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/environments/index.htm Space science, magnetospheric models, radiation effects on electronics.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/plasma_dynamics/index.htm Applied plasma physics research, particularly development of novel plasma thruster technologies for small spacecraft .
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/propulsion/index.htm Bipropellant engines, solar thermal, green propellants.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/space_vehicle_control/index.htm Debris removal mission and concepts, CMGs and inertial actuation, deorbit sails, solar sails, spherical air-bearing testbed design, UAV flight control systems for quadrotors, helicopters and tailsitters.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/smm/index.htm Spacecraft microvibrations, multifunctional and stable structures, electronics for space applications, validation of FEM.

Astrodynamics: This can be done by aerospace or electrical engineering. That being said electrical will typically have less experince with the dynamics and Both can be equal depending on classes taken
Autonomy & Robotics (STAR Lab) Very similar to above. electrical will have more experience with the actual hardware and software implementations.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/research/controlsystems/index.htm same as above
On Board Data Handling: electrical
Environments & Instrumentation: depends
Plasma Dynamics: no idea
Propulsion: aerospace for the actual propulsion, electrical for the controlling hardware
Space Vehicle Control Group: equal if classes are taken. again ee might lack in dynamics
Spacecraft Structures, Materials and Mechanisms: aerospace

as you can see it kind of depends on what you want to do. typically something like controls is a field that split between the two, with EEs being better at the implantation, but not knowing the platforms or dynamics. anything structual or mechanical goes to the aerospace, anything electrical goes to the EEs.That being said, this EE program is strongly based on space systems, so I am sure you would get the exposure to the dynamics
so similar to what I said before, what do you want to do with spacecraft ?

that EE program looks good, if you want to do anything with GNC or electronics, going with EE would be a good choice.
What you won't get with that EE program is the strong mechanical/structural analysis. That being said, there are MANY MANY systems/GNC engineers with EE backrounds, as it is an interdisciplinary field.

so as an ee you might get to do guidance work and look at how your communication system will interface with the base system, or look at where u want the spacecraft to fly, or how you want the spacecraft to fly. Then determining the amount of thrust you need is a gray area between the two disciplines.. But determining what thrust will be generated by the rocket, and how to generate that thrust will be out of your element (note you could move to that field as an ee, anything is possible).

Thank you for taking the time to helping me. My end propulsion in space and launch vehicle. So its looking to be mechanical course for this one. One again thankfully for your help. Sorry for not replying earlier having problems with my machine.

Last edited:

1. What are the different areas of study involved in working on spacecraft?

There are several areas of study that are relevant to working on spacecraft, including aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, and physics. These fields involve designing, building, and operating spacecraft and their components.

2. How do I determine which area of study is right for me?

The best way to determine which area of study is right for you is to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research each field and their specific roles in spacecraft development to see which aligns most with your skills and passions.

3. Do I need a certain degree or level of education to work on spacecraft?

While some positions may require specific degrees or certifications, there are various levels of education that can lead to a career in spacecraft development. Many roles in this field require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline, but higher degrees such as a master's or PhD can also be beneficial.

4. What kind of skills are necessary for working on spacecraft?

Some important skills for working on spacecraft include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, communication, and technical abilities in your chosen field of study. Additionally, being able to work well in a team and adapt to changing circumstances are crucial in this field.

5. What kind of job opportunities are available for those interested in working on spacecraft?

There are a variety of job opportunities in the field of spacecraft development, including roles in design, testing, operations, and research. These positions can be found in government agencies, private companies, and research institutions, among others. Additionally, there are opportunities for internships and co-op programs to gain hands-on experience in this field.