Help me in selecting a power supply for conductivity measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses a project that involves measuring the solute concentration of water in a porous ceramic plate using platinum electrodes. Two methods are suggested: placing two electrodes on the sides of the disk or using the Wenner array method with four electrodes on the bottom. The recommended AC power supply is ~1kHz and ~1uA. The individual seeking help has a chemical engineering background and is looking for equipment that can be used for both methods and record data on a computer. The Wenner array method is suggested and a link is provided with a list of instruments. The conversation ends with the suggestion to consult a labtech or do a Google search for different instrument setups.
tabasko
Hello all,

For my project, I am trying to measure the solute concentration of water inside a porous ceramic plate (~2mm in diameter). I am using platinum electrodes.

There are two ways I think I could possibly do this.

1) Place two electrodes on the sides of the porous disk
2) Place 4 electrodes on the bottom of the disk (tetrapolar measurement).

From what I've read, I would want to use an AC power supply, ~1kHz and ~1uA.

I have a chemical engineering background so I am not sure how to set everything up. Can anyone help me find equipment that could be used for both measurement methods as well as recording the data on the computer?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest the Wenner array method.

http://geoprobe.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/electrical_conductivity_sop.pdf

go well

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Studiot,

I went through the link and the Wenner array method seems to be exactly what I am talking about when I mentionned the tetrapolar measurement. Now I just need to find a suitable power supply and the other required instruments.

Wasn't there is list of instruments in the pdf?

The Wenner arrary is a very versatile arrangement so there is a huge range of suitable instumentation. I have no idea what you have available, perhaps your labtech might help here?

If you google wenner array there are lots of hits all with different instrument setups to choose from.

go well

Related to Help me in selecting a power supply for conductivity measurements

1. What is the purpose of a power supply in conductivity measurements?

A power supply is required to provide a constant and stable source of electrical energy to the conductivity measurement device. This allows for accurate and precise measurements to be taken.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting a power supply for conductivity measurements?

The most important factors to consider are the voltage and current output capabilities of the power supply. It should also have low noise and ripple, as well as a stable output. Additionally, the power supply should be compatible with the conductivity measurement device and the type of conductivity measurement being performed.

3. Do I need a specialized power supply for conductivity measurements?

It is not necessary to have a specialized power supply specifically for conductivity measurements. However, it is important to choose a power supply with the appropriate specifications for the specific conductivity measurement being performed.

4. Is there a specific voltage or current range that is ideal for conductivity measurements?

The ideal voltage and current range will vary depending on the type of conductivity measurement being performed and the specific device being used. It is important to consult the device's manual or specifications to determine the recommended range.

5. Can I use a battery as a power supply for conductivity measurements?

While it is possible to use a battery as a power supply for conductivity measurements, it is not recommended. Batteries can have fluctuations in their output, which can affect the accuracy and precision of the measurements. It is best to use a stable and regulated power supply for conductivity measurements.