Help me select field for PhD: Control/Dynamics or PDE/Numerics

• Thread starter h_robert64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Phd
In summary: Ultimately, the decision is yours, but make sure to thoroughly explore your options before making a decision. In summary, if you are having a hard time deciding between control systems and dynamics and numerical solutions of PDEs for your PhD, consider which one interests you more and do some research before making a decision.

Control systems and Dynamics OR numerical PDE'sfor PhD studies?

• Control systems and Dynamics

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • computational partial differential equations/Applied math

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
h_robert64
I like both control systems and dynamics, and numerical solutions of PDE's. And I am trying to decide which field to apply for to do a PhD in.

I am having hard time deciding. Just looking for advice from those who worked or studied any of the above to help me decide.

I seem to be leaning toward control systems and dynamics as it is more varied and interesting. But so is numerical solutions of PDE's.

For the control systems, I would be applying to Mechanical engineering dept most likely. For the PDE's, I would be applying to a Math dept.

I do not want to flip a coin on this. Any idea which you think is a better field to get in?

thank you
Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I can give is to think about what interests you the most. Control systems and dynamics involve understanding the behavior of systems and how to control them, while numerical solutions of PDEs involve solving a variety of equations. Both of these fields are incredibly complex, so you should think about which one appeals to you more. Consider the research that is being done in each field, and consider talking to professors in both areas to get a better idea of which one suits your interests and skills the best.

Related to Help me select field for PhD: Control/Dynamics or PDE/Numerics

1. Which field has more job opportunities after completing a PhD?

Both control/dynamics and PDE/numerics have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and finance. It ultimately depends on your specific research interests and skills, as well as the job market at the time of your graduation.

2. What are the major differences between control/dynamics and PDE/numerics?

Control/dynamics focuses on the analysis and design of systems to achieve desired behaviors, while PDE/numerics focuses on the numerical solution of partial differential equations. Control/dynamics is more applicable to physical systems and can involve experimental work, while PDE/numerics is more theoretical and computational in nature.

3. Which field has a higher demand for research funding?

Both control/dynamics and PDE/numerics are active areas of research and receive significant funding from various sources such as government agencies, private companies, and universities. It is important to choose a field that aligns with your research interests and has potential for funding opportunities.

4. What are some potential research topics within control/dynamics and PDE/numerics?

Control/dynamics research topics can include optimal control, nonlinear dynamics, robotics, and system identification. PDE/numerics research topics can include finite element methods, computational fluid dynamics, numerical optimization, and scientific computing. It is important to explore the specific research interests and expertise of potential advisors when selecting a field.

5. Is it possible to combine control/dynamics and PDE/numerics in a PhD program?

Yes, some PhD programs offer the opportunity to combine both fields through interdisciplinary research projects. However, it is important to carefully consider your research interests and the expertise of potential advisors to ensure a successful and cohesive research experience.