Help Needed: Calculating H and O from Cation Concentrations

• Thread starter zzyzzx
  • Start date
In summary: It would be helpful to know what assumptions the original authors made, in order to reproduce the result. In summary, Borek would like to reproduce a calculation that someone else did, involving chemistry. He has data for cation/anion concentrations, but for some reason the H and O data is not given. Given the cation concentrations, is it possible to figure out the corresponding amounts of H and O? If so, how? Thanks for your help!
zzyzzx
Hello all:

I would like to test some software, to find out whether it works correctly. To do this, I want to reproduce a calculation that someone did using a different method.

This calculation involves chemistry, and my chemistry skills are not great. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with what is probably a rookie question!

I have data for cation/anion concentrations. But for some reason, although the cations are within a fluid made up of H and O, the H and O data are not given. Given the cation concentrations, is it possible to figure out the corresponding amounts of H and O? If so, how?

millimoles/liter
Na + = 110.0
Mg2+ = 5.0
Ca2+ = 0.966
Cl- = 121

Thanks a lot for any help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

For very precise calculations you would need solution density. For approximate calculations, you can safely assume concentration of water to be 1000/18 mol/L.

But I have a feeling you might be trying to do something unnecessary, something that has a source in your confusion.

Thanks a lot Borek. You are probably right that I don't properly understand this...

What is the significance of the 1000/18? I just need the concentration of H and O that would go along with the cation concentrations (if that is possible). I can then find out the solution density. If it helps, this is all at 25 C.

You can't find solution density after - this is a thing that has to be measured, so you need to know it before being able to calculate anything. Solution is rather diluted, so it will be quite close to 1.00 g/mL - could be that's accurate enough for your needs.

1000/18 is just a molar concentration of pure water - assuming 1.00g/mL, 1L mass is 1000g, molar mass of water is 18g/mol. Knowing molar concentration of water you can calculate amount of H and O (although it doesn't make much sense to me - it could make sense as a part of the proper mass balance for the system, but I doubt you need it).

Thanks Borek, this helps a lot.

I got the data from a paper published by people who tested their code. I don't understand why they don't specify H and O if it isn't clear what H and O must be! Anyway, maybe they used the assumption you describe, so I'll try that.

Much appreciated.

Concentration of water is usually considered to be constant, so - depending on what you do - you can completely ignore its presence. Perhaps that's the case.

Related to Help Needed: Calculating H and O from Cation Concentrations

1. How do I calculate the number of hydrogen (H) atoms from cation concentrations?

To calculate the number of hydrogen atoms (H) from cation concentrations, you will need to use the chemical formula for the cation and the number of cations present in the solution. Each cation will have a specific number of hydrogen atoms associated with it, which can be found by referencing a periodic table or chemical database. Simply multiply the number of cations by the number of hydrogen atoms in the formula to calculate the total number of hydrogen atoms.

2. Can I use the same method to calculate the number of oxygen (O) atoms?

Yes, the same method can be used to calculate the number of oxygen atoms (O) from cation concentrations. Just like with hydrogen, each cation will have a specific number of oxygen atoms associated with it, which can be found by referencing a periodic table or chemical database. Multiply the number of cations by the number of oxygen atoms in the formula to calculate the total number of oxygen atoms.

3. What if there are multiple cations present in the solution?

If there are multiple cations present in the solution, you will need to calculate the number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms for each cation separately and then add them together to get the total number of atoms. Make sure to correctly identify and account for each cation in the solution.

4. Do I need to consider the charge of the cations when calculating the number of atoms?

Yes, the charge of the cations must be taken into consideration when calculating the number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms. This is because the charge of the cation will affect the number of atoms present in the formula. Be sure to include the charge of the cations when referencing a periodic table or chemical database.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating H and O from cation concentrations?

In addition to the chemical formula, number of cations, and charge of the cations, you should also consider the units of the cation concentrations. Make sure to convert the concentrations to the correct units before performing any calculations. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate before using the results for any further analysis or experiments.