Help Needed Setting Up Network on Windows XP - Network Help Guys

• Thread starter WaR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, you should set up a share on your laptop before you can access your workgroup computers. You may need to share something on the laptop to make it appear when viewing your workgroup computers.
WaR
This is the first time I'm trying to set up a Network, I'm using Windows XP on both this one and the Wireless Laptop (yes I know Microsoft is a pain) but I can't do it. Anyone want to help?

This is what I have so far, I set up a network with the wizard on the main computer, gave the workgroup a name and I did the same thing to the Laptop, gave it the same workgroup name and everything.

Now, when I go to the main computer and click on "Show workgroup computers" I can see both computers, but when I try to click on the laptop icon it doesn't let me saying that I need permission...

It gets worse, if I go to the laptop I can't even see the 2 computers on the "view workgroup computers" option, it says I have no permission and to go see the administrator for help... $%&#! I am the damn administrator ! :(

And another thing, I am simply trying to share the entire C drive from the desktop so that I can access it from my laptop. I don't want to share anything from the laptop. And by the way, I am using a router and it works fine. It has 64 bit encryption.

Who wants to help? :)

Edit: Also, if I change my mind, how can I erase the whole network set up and stop sharing everything without killing my internet conection network?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Now, when I go to the main computer and click on "Show workgroup computers" I can see both computers, but when I try to click on the laptop icon it doesn't let me saying that I need permission...
About this part; after setting up your network you should set up a share. Find a folder you would like to share, right-click it, select 'Sharing and Security', and go through the rest of the procedures which should be fairly intuitive. You just might have some luck after doing all that.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the thing, Even if I share something, (I want to share the whole C drive from my desktop to the laptop) but when I go to my laptop, I can't even access the computers in the work space, it says I have no permission. In fact, I can't even see my workplace computers from my laptop, only from my desktop (main computer) i can do this...

Can you help me clear the whole network thing instead? Like erase it or something, without affecting my wireless internet connection? I don't want that network anymore, where do I go to erase it on both computers? :(

Let me see; I think you may need to share something on the laptop before it will appear when viewing your workgroup computers. Another thought is that I believe your router is sending a signal even when wireless networking is disabled. The laptop would detect the signal but you won't be able to connect until you configure the router for wireless operation. I am not knowledgeable on running multiple networks on the same system so not much help there, I'm afraid. What type of router is it?

I have a Linksys and the internet connection is fine. I have no problem (obviously since I'm here) but what I really want now is to eliminate that network configuration, but nothing to do with my original internet connection.

Thanks anyway, I'm still waiting on some help from anyone here.

Edit: Thank God for System Restore points :)

Last edited:

1. What is the first step in setting up a network on Windows XP?

The first step in setting up a network on Windows XP is to ensure that all necessary hardware, such as routers and cables, are properly connected and configured.

2. Do I need any specific software to set up a network on Windows XP?

Yes, you will need to have the correct network drivers installed on your computer in order for it to connect to the network. You may also need to install any additional software provided by your network provider.

3. How do I add a new device to an existing network on Windows XP?

To add a new device to an existing network on Windows XP, you will need to go to the "Network Connections" control panel and click on the "Set up a home or small office network" option. This will walk you through the steps of adding a new device to your network.

4. How can I troubleshoot network connection issues on Windows XP?

If you are experiencing network connection issues on Windows XP, you can try resetting your network adapter, checking for any software or hardware conflicts, and running the Windows Network Diagnostics tool.

5. Can I set up a wireless network on Windows XP?

Yes, you can set up a wireless network on Windows XP by using a wireless router and configuring your computer's wireless settings. You may also need to install additional software or drivers for your wireless adapter.