How to Simplify This Trigonometric Equation Using Substitutions?

In summary: If so, you can use that to simplify the expression. In summary, the conversation is discussing a trigonometric identity involving the substitution method. The goal is to simplify the expression using trigonometric identities, specifically one for ##\cos(2\alpha)##.
Fred1230
Returning if I have to show the effort, I came to this:
[tex]\frac{\sin4\alpha}{1+\cos4\alpha}\cdot\frac{\cos2\alpha}{1+\cos2\alpha}\cdot\frac{\cos\alpha}{1+\cos\alpha}=\tan\frac{\alpha}{2}.[/tex]
=
[tex]\frac{\sin4\alpha}{\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha+\cos4\alpha}\cdot\frac{(\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha)-2sin^2\alpha}{\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha+\cos2\alpha}\cdot\frac{\cos\alpha}{\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha+\cos\alpha}=\frac{\sin\alpha^2}{\cos2\alpha}.[/tex]
I don't know how to use substitutions

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]s=\sin\alpha[/tex] and [tex]c=\cos\alpha[/tex]

Fred1230 said:
[tex]\frac{\sin4\alpha}{1+\cos4\alpha}\cdot\frac{\cos2\alpha}{1+\cos2\alpha}\cdot\frac{\cos\alpha}{1+\cos\alpha}=\tan\frac{\alpha}{2}.[/tex]
=
[tex]\frac{\sin4\alpha}{\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha+\cos4\alpha}\cdot\frac{(\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha)-2sin^2\alpha}{\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha+\cos2\alpha}\cdot\frac{\cos\alpha}{\sin^2\alpha+cos^2\alpha+\cos\alpha}=\frac{\sin\alpha^2}{\cos2\alpha}.[/tex]
Substitute ##\alpha=60^{\circ}## in your expression and check if you come out with ##\tan30^{\circ}##. If not it's back to the drawing board!

Fred1230 said:
=
Do you know a formula for ##\cos(2\alpha)## in terms of ##\cos(\alpha)##?

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use algebraic methods to isolate the variable. This may involve using trigonometric identities, factoring, or using the quadratic formula.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving the equation, rather than just relying on the calculator.

5. How can I check my solution to a trigonometric equation?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the solution.