Help Solving a Trigonometric Equation

In summary, the two principal value answers to the equation are ##\boxed{\theta_1 = 62.7^{\circ}\; , \; \theta_2 = 31^{\circ}}##.
vibha_ganji
Homework Statement
3.44(cos^2 (theta)) - 25 sin(2 * theta) = -19.62
Relevant Equations
cos ^2 theta = cos theta times cos theta
sin (2* theta) = sin theta times cos theta times 2
I’m stuck on how to begin. I’ve tried to factor out sin theta from both of the terms on the left hand side but that led to nowhere. Could I have a hint on how to continue? Than you!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting ## \sin^2{\theta}=1-\cos^2{\theta} ##, and the rest is algebra.
My mistake, I misread the problem. Try ## \cos^2{\theta}=(\cos(2 \theta)+1)/2 ##.
## a \cos(2 \theta)+b \sin(2 \theta) ## then simplifies with an algebraic "trick".

Likes Delta2
One additional hint on the algebraic trick, because it is not obvious unless you have seen it before:
##a \cos{\theta}+b \sin{\theta}=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} \cos(\theta-\phi) ## where ## \phi=\arctan(b/a) ##.
Be sure and prove to yourself the formula I just gave you.

Likes Delta2
Charles Link said:
One additional hint on the algebraic trick, because it is not obvious unless you have seen it before:
##a \cos{\theta}+b \sin{\theta}=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} \cos(\theta-\phi) ## where ## \phi=\arctan(b/a) ##.
Be sure and prove to yourself the formula I just gave you.
I have managed to do the original problem (See original post #1) using a slightly different method than the one you (@Charles Link) mentioned. I will wait and see @vibha_ganji 's effort first before giving my own. However, in your post #3 above, you mentioned a different point that got me thinking about it as a separate problem in its own right. Let me type it below.

Problem : If ##\pmb{a\cos\theta+b\sin\theta=c}##, what is ##\pmb{\theta=?}##.

Attempt : I copy and paste my solution below using a well known "trick" I learned in high school where you express both ##a## and ##b## in terms of sine's and cosine's of the same angle (say ##\alpha##) times a variable (say ##r##).

1644150670822.png

Likes Charles Link
@vibha_ganji : While I won't tell you how, I will give you the answers to your problem. I would also advise you to learn how to type mathematics on here (using ##\mathbf{\LaTeX})## so as to make your questions and solutions look more readable.

Your problem statement : Solve the trigonometric equation ##3.44\cos^2\theta-25\sin 2\theta=-19.62##.

Solution : ##\text{I leave this for you.}##

Answers : I find there are two answers : ##\boxed{\theta_1 = 62.7^{\circ}\; , \; \theta_2 = 31^{\circ}}##. Both values of ##\theta## plugged into the left hand side of the given equation yield the value on the right hand side (##-19.62##).

Likes Charles Link
brotherbobby said:
I find there are two answers
I think you can also add any multiple of ## 180^{\circ} ## to either of those two answers and it will also be a solution.

and one alternative solution would be to write ## \sin(2 \theta)=2 \sin{\theta} \cos{\theta} ##, and use ## \sin{\theta}=\pm \sqrt{1-\cos^2{\theta}} ##, but that gets rather clumsy with the algebra.

Edit: In any case, I solved it this way also, and got the same answers.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
and one alternative solution would be to write ## \sin(2 \theta)=2 \sin{\theta} \cos{\theta} ##, and use ## \sin{\theta}=\pm \sqrt{1-\cos^2{\theta}} ##, but that gets rather clumsy with the algebra.

Edit: In any case, I solved it this way also, and got the same answers.
Yes but I had a small problem. I could not solve it using the method you just mentioned, wherein you substitute ##\sin 2\theta = 2\sin\theta \cos\theta## and ##\cos^2\theta=1-\sin^2\theta##. I should give you my failed attempt right now before I tell you of other proceedings.
1644224901578.png

I did it by replacing the ##\cos^2\theta## term and the ##\sin 2\theta## term by ##\tan^2\theta##. I got a quadratic in ##\tan\theta## which was simple enough to solve, yielding the two values I had written down in my post #6 above.

However, the method I tried above has a simpler route to which you alluded earlier in your response to the creator of this thread, @vibha_ganji . Trouble is, when I tried that method, I got different answers. I'd like to do it again and copy and paste it for you below.

1644226413949.png

These values are a bit different from the ones I obtained earlier. Do you think the error lies in the rounding off?

The ## z=\sin{\theta} ## can be solved for fairly routinely. You get a 4th power in ## z ##, but it is quadratic in ## z^2 ##.

Meanwhile you changed the -19.62 to -19.26. If you correct that, I'm almost certain you will get the same answer.

Charles Link said:
The ## z=\sin{\theta} ## can be solved for fairly routinely. You get a 4th power in ## z ##, but it is quadratic in ## z^2 ##.

Meanwhile you changed the -19.62 to -19.26. If you correct that, I'm almost certain you will get the same answer.
Thank you. I got the answers using the method of putting ##z=\sin\theta##. I was wrong in my post (#9) above where I claimed that terms of the order of ##z^3## would appear. Of course if that happened I wouldn't know how to solve the equation analytically.

To sum up, the two principal value answers to the equation are ##\boxed{\theta_1 = 62.7^{\circ}\; , \; \theta_2 = 31^{\circ}}##. I hope the creator of this thread can carry out the solution and verify.

Likes Charles Link

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These equations involve the relationships between the sides and angles of a triangle.

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation and use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify it. You may also need to use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variable.

What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using the unit circle, using trigonometric identities and properties, and using inverse trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of algebraic techniques such as factoring and substitution.

What are some tips for solving difficult trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving difficult trigonometric equations include breaking the equation down into smaller parts, using symmetry to simplify the equation, and checking your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common trigonometric identities and properties.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to use the correct trigonometric identity or property, misapplying the inverse trigonometric functions, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double check your work and be mindful of the steps you are taking to solve the equation.