Help to form questions regarding wind flow/convection

In summary, the conversation is about a person working on a school project in Comsol, simulating wind flow and heat transfer around mount St Helens. They are looking for suggestions on how to make their simulations more accurate and useful for answering specific questions.
Earthland
Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but my question is very general, not a textbook problem or something like that :) . I work in Comsol where I have imported the topography of mount St Helens and I simulate wind flow around the mountain (as laminar flow) and also simulate convection through heat transfer module. This is a schoolwork project and I have gotten these simulations running. But these are very general simulations and I want to make my work more exact, so that I could provide answer to some question through these simulations - but what questions should these be?

For example, I can see what happens to velocity field if one side of the mountain is warmer than other etc. Any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hum... So let me see if I understand you correctly. You have come up with a solution looking for a problem?

Zz.

Well I'll have to advance my simulations probably, once I'll figure out what could be my problem, yes :D

1. How does wind flow impact convection?

Wind flow plays a crucial role in convection as it helps to distribute heat and moisture across the Earth's surface, creating areas of high and low pressure. This pressure gradient drives the movement of air, which in turn influences the development of convection currents.

2. What factors affect wind flow and convection?

Several factors can affect wind flow and convection, including temperature, humidity, air pressure, and the Earth's rotation. These factors can vary depending on location, time of day, and season, resulting in different patterns of wind flow and convection.

3. How is wind flow and convection measured?

Wind flow and convection are typically measured using instruments such as anemometers, which measure wind speed, and barometers, which measure air pressure. Weather satellites and radar can also provide valuable data on wind flow and convection patterns.

4. What is the impact of wind flow and convection on weather patterns?

Wind flow and convection are major drivers of weather patterns, as they help to distribute heat and moisture across the Earth's surface. This can result in the formation of clouds, precipitation, and changes in temperature, ultimately impacting local and global weather conditions.

5. How does wind flow and convection impact the environment?

Wind flow and convection have a significant impact on the environment. They help to distribute nutrients and moisture, regulate temperature, and influence plant growth. They also play a role in the formation of severe weather events, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and thunderstorms.