Help understanding the solution to a circuit problem

In summary: Yeah, its not clear to me to, you see this is a solution which was finished in school so i just posted it so you can help me understand how it was got. They just stated that tha last part without any...yeah.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

IMG_2247.JPG

When the switch is open, the voltage is ##U_{ab}##. When the switch is closed the calculated max current is ##I_{max}##. Calculate the resistance of ##R_p## when its power is max and the current of ##I_g##
##R1=100,R3=200,R4=400##,##0<Rp<100## and ##U_{ab}=2V##,##I_{max}=10mA##
This is the problem we had today in school and i have solved the second part of it but am not clear about the first part. I will post the problem and the solution and hope you can help answer what's bugging me.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
The solution: The equivalent simplified system:
##E_t=U_{ab}=2V## {This part i don't get. Why is it U_{ab} when we also have the thevenin resistor so the total voltage doesn't equal ##U_{ab}## right?}
##I_{max}=\frac{E_t}{R_t+R_p}=\frac{E_t}{R_t}##
##R_t=200##
##R_t=\frac{R1R3}{R1+R3} + \frac{R2R4}{R2+R4}=200##
##R_2=200##
##U_{ab}=I_gR_t##
##I_g=I_{max}=10mA## {This should be because if ##I_g## was higher than the resistor could not handle it? Could have we stated this from the start then?}
since ##R_{pmax}<R_t## then ##R_p=R_{pmax}=100## {How did they deduce that ##R_{pmax}## is smaller than ##R_t##. Cant see they derived it anywhere? What am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
doktorwho said:
The solution: The equivalent simplified system:
##E_t=U_{ab}=2V## {This part i don't get. Why is it U_{ab} when we also have the thevenin resistor so the total voltage doesn't equal ##U_{ab}## right?}
The Thevenin voltage is the open-circuit voltage for the network that's being replaced. With the switch open you're told that the potential across ##U_{ab}## is 2 V. So that's the open circuit potential for the network, and thus by definition it is ##V_{th}##.
##I_{max}=\frac{E_t}{R_t+R_p}=\frac{E_t}{R_t}##
##R_t=200##
##R_t=\frac{R1R3}{R1+R3} + \frac{R2R4}{R2+R4}=200##
##R_2=200##
Okay, your derivations of ##R_{th}## and ##R_2## look good.
##U_{ab}=I_gR_t##
##I_g=I_{max}=10mA## {This should be because if ##I_g## was higher than the resistor could not handle it? Could have we stated this from the start then?}
since ##R_{pmax}<R_t## then ##R_p=R_{pmax}=100## {How did they deduce that ##R_{pmax}## is smaller than ##R_t##. Cant see they derived it anywhere? What am i missing?
Can you explain what ##I_g## is? Is it the Norton current?

gneill said:
The Thevenin voltage is the open-circuit voltage for the network that's being replaced. With the switch open you're told that the potential across ##U_{ab}## is 2 V. So that's the open circuit potential for the network, and thus by definition it is ##V_{th}##.

Okay, your derivations of ##R_{th}## and ##R_2## look good.

Can you explain what ##I_g## is? Is it the Norton current?
No, its the current from the generator in the picture (the leftest part of the circuit). :)

doktorwho said:
No, its the current from the generator in the picture (the leftest part of the circuit). :)

Ah. Okay. It's not obvious (at least to me) that the voltage source E won't contribute to the short circuit current and that it'll be supplied only by ##I_g##, so I don't think you can simply conclude that ##I_g = I_{max}## without showing some justification. Fortunately the cuurent can be found by analyzing the circuit and making use of the given value of 2 V for the top node when the switch is open. I suggest using nodal analysis where the voltage source E makes a supernode of the two middle nodes.

##R_p## has a defined range, right? ##0<Rp<100##. So ##R_{pmax}## must be essentially 100 Ohms, which is half of the ##R_{th}## that you found.

gneill said:
Ah. Okay. It's not obvious (at least to me) that the voltage source E won't contribute to the short circuit current and that it'll be supplied only by ##I_g##, so I don't think you can simply conclude that ##I_g = I_{max}## without showing some justification. Fortunately the cuurent can be found by analyzing the circuit and making use of the given value of 2 V for the top node when the switch is open. I suggest using nodal analysis where the voltage source E makes a supernode of the two middle nodes.

##R_p## has a defined range, right? ##0<Rp<100##. So ##R_{pmax}## must be essentially 100 Ohms, which is half of the ##R_{th}## that you found.
Yeah, its not clear to me to, you see this is a solution which was finished in school so i just posted it so you can help me understand how it was got. They just stated that tha last part without any calculation.

doktorwho said:
Yeah, its not clear to me to, you see this is a solution which was finished in school so i just posted it so you can help me understand how it was got. They just stated that tha last part without any calculation.
Well, you'e right to be skeptical of any solution that's presented without justification ("and then some magic happens"). Try the nodal analysis approach and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Edit: It just occurred to me that another approach to show that the source E doesn't contribute to the short circuit (maximum) current would be to use superposition. Short the output terminals, suppress the current source, and use loop analysis (mesh analysis) to find the current through the short due to voltage source E.

Last edited:

1. How can I understand the solution to a circuit problem?

To understand the solution to a circuit problem, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic circuit theory and principles. This includes understanding Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and basic circuit components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It may also be helpful to practice solving simpler circuit problems before attempting more complex ones.

2. What steps should I follow to solve a circuit problem?

The first step in solving a circuit problem is to gather all necessary information, such as the circuit diagram and component values. Next, apply the appropriate circuit laws and equations to analyze the circuit. It may also be helpful to redraw the circuit in a simpler form or use a circuit simulator to aid in understanding the solution. Finally, check your work and make sure your solution is logical and makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. How can I improve my understanding of circuit problems?

One way to improve your understanding of circuit problems is to practice solving a variety of problems using different techniques. You can also study and review solution methods used by others and seek help from a tutor or knowledgeable peer. Additionally, experimenting with real circuits and observing their behavior can enhance your understanding of circuit principles.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving circuit problems?

One common mistake when solving circuit problems is not labeling or keeping track of the direction and polarity of currents and voltages. Another mistake is not fully understanding the circuit laws and principles being applied. It is also important to double check calculations and make sure all units are consistent. Additionally, it is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of the circuit model being used.

5. What resources can I use to help understand the solution to a circuit problem?

There are many resources available to help understand the solution to a circuit problem. Textbooks, online tutorials, and educational websites can provide explanations and examples of various circuit concepts and problem-solving techniques. You can also seek help from a professor, tutor, or study group. Additionally, there are software programs and circuit simulators that can help visualize and analyze circuit solutions.