Help with copying content in a website to Word docx

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who has a neck problem and is having trouble reading content on a website. They usually copy and paste the content into a Word document to read, but the site they are currently trying to access is not working. They are trying to find a way to copy the content without all the tables and formatting, or to edit it out in the .docx file. They have tried different methods, but none have been successful. They also mention wanting to put notes on the content and ask about a free PDF editor. However, the expert suggests using PDF readers to add comments and highlights for free. The person also mentions trying to create a PDF from the webpage, but it doesn't work well due to the webpage
yungman
Hi
I have neck problem that I just cannot looking at the screen for long time to read. I have to copy the content and paste into a word docx and lie down to read it. Usually it's not a problem. But this site is not working.
https://www.sfml-dev.org/documentat...rWindow.php#a839bbf336bdcafb084dafc3076fc9021

Attached is the file copied by copy & paste. It have so many that looks like table and the arrangement is very different I cannot read it. Is there any way to either copy in without all the table like stuffs or how can it edit out in the .docx. I went through the Word menu and I can't find anything that deal with this.

Attachments

• RenderWindow.docx
    60 KB · Views: 146
Computer science news on Phys.org
The last thing that you would want to do is to copy-paste a web page into MS Word. That will simply mess up the formatting. Why not create a PDF instead? All major browsers allow creation of PDF from web pages; they have options like "Print" or "Save as PDF". I created a pdf of the page you linked using Opera browser (somehow it was not working with Chrome). See the attached file.

Attachments

• sf__RenderWindow Class Reference (SFML _ Learn _ 2.5.1 Documentation).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 437
Likes russ_watters
Thanks for the reply, problem is I want to put in my notes also. Do they have free pdf editor?

Thanks

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply, problem is I want to put in my notes also. Do they have free pdf editor?

Thanks
PDF readers like Adobe or Foxit reader will allow you to put comments/highlights in documents for free. But free pdf editors actually don't exist, unfortunately.

I do the same on my ipad. I can create pdfs from a webpage and they get stored in ibooks. From there i move them to goodreader or notability where i can annotate though i seldom do.

Similarly on my pc i print and then select to save as pdf.

Be aware that often these schemes fail to make a faithful copy due to the fancy javascript features of the webpage. Sometimes a popover will appear. Sometimes text get s cut on a print page change.

I have been searching online, One method is save the web page as .html file. Then right click and choose open with Word file. But I got an error message:
Missing SFML files .jpg

I have sfml downloaded already, I need to find fonts.googleapis.com\css one. But the question is how should I proceed on this?

I really want to do it in word doc and obviously there are ways to do it.

Thanks

I really tried different ways, I even tried adding extension in Chrome Browser to save web page as word doc. the error of missing SFML etc. kept popping up. Any suggestions?

Sounds like this is a very common thing to do to convert web page to doc.

Here is the answer to question Y: you will find it at

But:
yungman said:
I have sfml downloaded already
Those files are not part of sfml, they are part of sfml's website. You can find them here:
I don't think that this is going to help very much though. You could try saving the page as a 'Web Page: complete' (it might be called something else in your browser). However I still doubt this will work very well imported to Word.

yungman said:
I really want to do it in word doc
If you don't like looking at the screen how is this going to help?

yungman said:
and obviously there are ways to do it.
Is it obvious?

Likes russ_watters
You already have the answer to question X:

yungman said:
I have neck problem that I just cannot looking at the screen for long time to read.

yungman said:
EDIT: I checked my laptop, it can only set to 1366 X 768 resolution. Maybe that's the problem.

yungman said:
I have big monitor like 22" or something, it's sitting in the closet.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
pbuk said:
You already have the answer to question X:
No it does not work. I have this problem for 30 years, I tried everything. I don't want to argue over and over about this. I know my body and my neck. You don't know the pain that shoots down the arm and lost of strength of the left arm. You don't know how much exercise I have to do to keep this in check. Been to doctors, physical therapies, you name it. I am not trying to get sympathy, this is life for me.

Regarding of the monitor resolution, SFML staff answered, they said it's very simple, just go to sf::view to set, no need to change monitor or computer. He specifically said no need to change anything. But when I ask him to give me a hint after I tried, he never answer. So right now, I am trying to learn the basic SFML to get to the view and see what happen.

I know I should not come here to ask question unless I do my search, I am doing my search, I am putting a lot of effort to avoid coming here to ask and be told I am not listening.

I am trying to copy the web page into doc. But if I cannot find it, I WILL hand type into the doc if that comes to it. It's is that bad for my neck.

pbuk said:
Here is the answer to question Y: you will find it at

But:

Those files are not part of sfml, they are part of sfml's website. You can find them here:
I don't think that this is going to help very much though. You could try saving the page as a 'Web Page: complete' (it might be called something else in your browser). However I still doubt this will work very well imported to Word.If you don't like looking at the screen how is this going to help?Is it obvious?
Thanks
Where do I put these after I download?

I don't know whether it will help, but I tried 3 or 4 different ways and all comes to this message at the last step.

There are a lot of web and youtube instructions of converting web page into .docx, obviously people are doing it. this is the sticking point.

Even Chrome let you add an extension to convert a web page to doc. But the error comes up also.

Can it be I only got the student version of Office 2007, that's the problem?

Thanks

yungman said:
Where do I put these after I download?
That's the problem with asking question Y: you don't know what to do with the answer. Nor do I because I don't think this is going to work. As I said the right way to get a copy of a web page on your local computer is to choose 'Save As -> Web Page (complete)' (in Firefox or Chrome, don't know about other browsers).

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
pbuk said:
That's the problem with asking question Y: you don't know what to do with the answer. Nor do I because I don't think this is going to work. As I said the right way to get a copy of a web page on your local computer is to choose 'Save As -> Web Page (complete)' (in Firefox or Chrome, don't know about other browsers).
I did that already, that's where I got the doc file looking like in post 1, it's not readable. I actually printed the whole thing out and couldn't read it, then I compare to the web site, it's very different.

If you say this is it, I am going to start copy and paste the web page into the word file. Might take a few hours, but I will get what I want. I actually started doing that, I thought I might learn something about word if I try this.

Somehow, it doesn't bother my neck when I type, read and type because I move my head, it's the reading that I cannot take. Don't ask me why, it just is. Nothing is worst than just staring at the monitor and read. I just cannot do that. You don't know how frustrating is this.

To read books, do you know I actually have to cut the book up into sections so I can pick up the thin section to lie down to read?
Cut book.jpg

Can you imagine if I cannot download pdf file of the book, I have to buy a new book and cut it apart like this so I can study it because of my neck. This is life for me and I really don't want to tell people about it.

The result you are seeing in Word is that the basic default font is being used to show the document. This is a 5x7 pixel character and goes back to at least 1976 for computer use. It is the fewest practical number of square pixels needed to display the English upper & lower case alphabet with numbers and punctuation.

This apparently is the 'fall-back' font used by Word when either the font requested by the document is not installed on the computer you are using, or the version of Word you are using does not recognize the version of the PDF file.

The 'not recognize the version' problem could caused by a corrupted file from a bad download.

Try downloading again and see if that fixes the problem.

Next would be to look at the document properties as shown by Word to find what fonts are expected, then try downloading and installing those fonts. See the Word or Operating System documentation on how to install a font.

@pbuk had the right idea in post #8:

pbuk said:
Good Luck!
Tom

So far, I did it the dumb way. Toke me like 4 hours but I did it. I'll look into this a little more as I still have a few to do. Looks like no matter what, it's going to take time to edit. I shrink it to 10 pages.

Attachments

• RenderWindow.docx
    67.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu

What is the easiest way to copy content from a website to Word docx?

The easiest way to copy content from a website to Word docx is to simply highlight the desired text on the website, right-click and select "Copy", then open a Word document and right-click again and select "Paste". This will copy and paste the text as plain text without any formatting.

How can I preserve the formatting of the content when copying from a website to Word docx?

To preserve the formatting of the content when copying from a website to Word docx, you can use the "Paste Special" feature in Word. First, copy the content from the website, then in Word, go to the "Home" tab and click on the arrow under the "Paste" button. Select "Paste Special" and choose the formatting option you want.

Is it possible to copy images from a website to Word docx?

Yes, it is possible to copy images from a website to Word docx. You can simply right-click on the image and select "Copy" or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + C". Then paste the image into your Word document by right-clicking and selecting "Paste" or using the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + V".

How do I copy content from a website that requires a login or is behind a paywall?

If the website you are trying to copy content from requires a login or is behind a paywall, you will need to use a web scraping tool or extension. These tools allow you to extract the content from the website and save it as a Word document. Some popular web scraping tools include WebScraper, Octoparse, and ParseHub.

Can I copy content from a website and use it for my own purposes?

It is important to check the copyright and usage rights of the content on the website before copying it for your own purposes. Some websites may have specific terms and conditions regarding the use of their content. If you are unsure, it is best to contact the website owner for permission or use a different source for your content.