"Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet

In summary, the user is having problems with viewing the content of an Excel file. After googling, they found that the problem may be caused by a plugin and that disabling the plugin may solve the issue.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I somehow cannot see the content of an Excel data file; please see bottom of document listing average of 34133, count of 11199, etc. Yet the data is for some reason I can't figure out, not visible/available. This Excel 2010. EDIT: The saved file has 329KB of data. But only that which is in the screenshot is what I have available. ?
Any ideas? EDIT2: I opened up another document in this same Excel copy which came out without any problems, so it seems the program is not corrupted.
upload_2018-4-26_22-10-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-26_22-10-34.png
    upload_2018-4-26_22-10-34.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you gone to the "view" tab to see if anything there looks odd? Why does the word "picture1" show up? It seems to suggest that you are viewing an image instead of the data.

Likes davenn and WWGD
phinds said:
Have you gone to the "view" tab to see if anything there looks odd? Why does the word "picture1" show up? It seems to suggest that you are viewing an image instead of the data.
Thanks, I don't see anything unusual : Screenshot of View:

upload_2018-4-26_22-45-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-26_22-45-37.png
    upload_2018-4-26_22-45-37.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 590
out of sample test:

what happens when you open the excel file in Google Sheets (or Libre office calc or ...)?

Likes WWGD
I doubt if it will help but try taking it out of page break view and put it back to normal view

Likes WWGD and davenn
Is this "Excel data file" really a PDF that you're trying to import using the Nitro add in that you have installed? Perhaps it just hasn't read the file properly.

Likes WWGD
Does Print Preview show anything? Can you post a screenshot of the File, Properties dialog from Windows Explorer? Like this below...

Also, have you tried re-booting your PC?

Excel File Properties.JPG

Attachments

• Excel File Properties.JPG
    Excel File Properties.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,072
Likes WWGD
@WWGD, I have a lot of experience w/ Excel. If you want to send me a copy of the file I'll see if I can figure anything out.

Likes WWGD and berkeman
phinds said:
@WWGD, I have a lot of experience w/ Excel. If you want to send me a copy of the file I'll see if I can figure anything out.
Thanks, Phinds, but it seems like an issue with _my_ copy of Excel. I was able to open the file up in another PC without any problem.

WWGD said:
Thanks, Phinds, but it seems like an issue with _my_ copy of Excel. I was able to open the file up in another PC without any problem.
Good. Can you just reinstall Excel?

berkeman said:
Does Print Preview show anything? Can you post a screenshot of the File, Properties dialog from Windows Explorer? Like this below...

Also, have you tried re-booting your PC?
Here it is View attachment 224770
I checked to see, within 'View' whether there were hidden columns, but that does not seem to be the case:
upload_2018-5-1_14-19-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-1_14-19-15.png
    upload_2018-5-1_14-19-15.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 568
phinds said:
Good. Can you just reinstall Excel?
I may have to; it seems like the only option.

I could be that plugin that you have installed. Before reinstalling, try disabling the Nitro10 plugin and restarting first.

Borg said:
I could be that plugin that you have installed. Before reinstalling, try disabling the Nitro10 plugin and restarting first.
Thanks. I don't even remember installing it, though.

From what I Googled, it looks like it reads in PDF files into Excel and attempts to create a spreadsheet from it. At the beginning of the thread, it sounded like you were doing that and then couldn't read the result. So, if you're using that plugin regularly, it's better to try temporarily disabling it, instead of having to reinstall it later.

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
From what I Googled, it looks like it reads in PDF files into Excel and attempts to create a spreadsheet from it. At the beginning of the thread, it sounded like you were doing that and then couldn't read the result. So, if you're using that plugin regularly, it's better to try temporarily disabling it, instead of having to reinstall it later.
Hi, thanks for the help. I actually did some import-export ( using the Import/Export Wizard )but from SQL Server to Excel and back. Strangely, every thing was working fine until one day I could not find the content in Excel. Will try disabling right now.
[

Thanks all, problem solved, though by a sort of Voodoo. Hoping someone can understand what happened : I did a search , found a site suggesting I just click on the " New Window" on the "View" tab. I did and file content magically came back without any changes. Guess will need some cat claws, blood of a salamander and the new moon next time something like this happens.

Likes berkeman
WWGD said:
Guess will need some cat claws, blood of a salamander and the new moon next time something like this happens.
This only works if the new moon comes on a Friday, and you stand on one leg while performing the incantation. Standard Microsoft regs.

Likes WWGD
phinds said:
This only works if the new moon comes on a Friday, and you stand on one leg while performing the incantation. Standard Microsoft regs.
Weird thing is you may be working on your file, accidentally hit on a key, not knowing which, and you just entered the Twilight Zone. Fortunately, others have entered it and lived long-enough to exitr it and put in the advice.

Likes phinds
WWGD said:
...you may be working on your file, accidentally hit on a key, not knowing which, and you just entered the Twilight Zone.
Yeah, I can sure see that happening... . :-p . :biggrin:
WWGD said:
to exitr it
Lol... carry on.

1. What is "Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet?

"Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet refers to the data or information that was previously entered into a spreadsheet but is no longer visible or accessible. This can happen due to accidental deletion, formatting, or other errors.

2. How can I retrieve "Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet?

The best way to retrieve "Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet is to use the undo feature. This will revert any recent changes and bring back the deleted or modified data. If the undo feature is not available, you can try using the AutoRecover function or restoring a previous version of the file.

3. Can I prevent "Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet?

Yes, you can prevent "Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet by saving your work frequently and using the "Save As" function to create backup copies of your file. It is also a good practice to regularly back up your files to an external storage device or cloud storage.

4. Is there a way to find "Lost" Content in Excel Spreadsheet?

In some cases, you can use the Find and Replace function in Excel to search for "Lost" Content. However, this will only work if the data was not completely deleted or overwritten. If the data cannot be found using this method, you may need to use a data recovery software or seek professional help.

5. How can I prevent accidentally deleting or modifying my data in Excel Spreadsheet?

To prevent accidental deletion or modification of data in Excel Spreadsheet, you can use the Protect Sheet or Protect Workbook feature. This will allow you to lock certain cells or sheets to prevent them from being edited without a password. You can also enable the "Read-only" option when sharing the file with others to prevent them from making changes.