Help with finding mesh currents and nodal analysis

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with understanding Kirchoff's law and other concepts related to electrical engineering. They mention that their assignment is due soon and express frustration with their progress. Suggestions are made to seek help from Physics Forums and to check out tutorials on Khan Academy for guidance. A specific link to a helpful resource is also provided.
bobob12456
New poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Please can I have some help
Relevant Equations
mesh current and nodal
Hi there, I have managed to work out the kirchoff's law bit but for the other two bits I just cant get started as I can get my head around it, its due in on monday I dont know why I left it so late!
1673516458406.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums. The way homework help works - you post what you have attempted, then we guide you towards a solution.
Can you post what equations you have set up?

Khan Academy has some good tutorials on this subject.

Likes scottdave

1. What is mesh current analysis?

Mesh current analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits that contain multiple current sources. It involves creating a set of equations based on Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) for each closed loop in the circuit, known as a mesh. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to determine the unknown mesh currents.

2. How is nodal analysis different from mesh current analysis?

Nodal analysis is another method used to analyze electrical circuits, and it is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). Instead of creating equations for each mesh, nodal analysis involves creating equations for each node in the circuit. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to determine the unknown node voltages.

3. What are the steps for solving a circuit using mesh current analysis?

The steps for solving a circuit using mesh current analysis are as follows:1. Identify all the meshes in the circuit.2. Assign a current variable to each mesh, in the direction of your choice.3. Write KVL equations for each mesh, using the assigned current variables.4. Solve the resulting system of equations for the unknown mesh currents.5. Use Ohm's Law to determine any other desired quantities, such as voltage or power.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with current sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with current sources. In these cases, the current sources should be included in the KCL equations for the corresponding nodes. It is also important to note the direction of the current source when writing the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using mesh current and nodal analysis?

Both mesh current and nodal analysis are powerful tools for analyzing electrical circuits, but they do have some limitations. These methods are most effective for circuits with a relatively small number of nodes and meshes. They also assume that the circuit is linear and contains ideal components. In some cases, more complex circuit analysis techniques may be necessary.