Help with frame and reference problem

In summary, The speed of the plane with respect to the ground is about 97.34 m/s, taking into account the air's speed and direction as well as the plane's speed and direction in relation to the air. There may be some error in the calculations, but the general method is to break up the velocities into their horizontal and vertical components and then use vector addition to find the overall velocity.
mohabitar
You are on an airplane traveling due east at 100 m/s with respect to the air. The air is moving with a speed 35 m/s with respect to the ground at an angle of 30° west of due north.

What is the speed of the plane with respect to the ground?

So here's what I am doing:
Drew the whole right triangle thing to bring down air into its horizontal and vertical components. Vertical turned out to be 17.5m/s and horizontal 30.31m/s.

Then I broke up the speed of the plane into its horizontal and vertical components, but I used the same angle of 30 to get horizontal speed of 86.6 and vertical speed of 50. I'm pretty sure this part is wrong.

So to get the speed of the plane wrt ground, the equation is: V[p,g]=V[p,a] + V[a,g]
so v[p,g]=86.6+30.31=116.91. That was the wrong answer. I tried subtracting-wrong answer. I even used 60 degrees instead of 30 for breaking up the plane into vertical and horizontal, but that didnt work out either. I have no idea what I am doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
is the answer about 97.34? I guess you just made the triangle wrong its a simple vector addition...

Last edited:
Thats incorrect. Can anyone else help me with this?

Related to Help with frame and reference problem

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of axes or coordinate system used to measure the position, motion, and orientation of objects in space.

2. What is a reference point?

A reference point is a fixed location or object used to determine the position or motion of other objects in a frame of reference.

3. Why is it important to consider frame and reference when conducting experiments?

Frames of reference allow us to accurately measure and describe the position and motion of objects in our experiments. Without a clear frame of reference, our measurements and observations may be inaccurate or incomplete.

4. How do you choose a frame of reference for an experiment?

The frame of reference chosen should be based on the specific characteristics and goals of the experiment. It should be a fixed, stable, and easily recognizable point or object that is relevant to the phenomena being studied.

5. Can a frame of reference be changed during an experiment?

Yes, a frame of reference can be changed during an experiment if it is necessary to better understand the phenomena being studied. However, it is important to document and explain any changes to ensure accuracy and reproducibility of the results.