Help with Motor voltage/torque for 12 Newtons of force....

In summary: There are three sections to the "blade."The blade is constructed from three sections. At the moment, the only way to achieve the desired amount of power is to find a small, powerful motor with a pulley that will fit inside the handle.
Aspirant
Hello all, I'm going to get right to the point!

My current project is a motor-retracted spring-loaded toy lightsaber. I started with one of those spring loaded lightsabers that spring out at the touch of a button... but it had the annoying immersion problem that in order to re-load it, you had to physically touch the blade to push it back in. So I gutted the lightsaber to make room for a 6 volt motor, attached it to the hilt, spooled a string around it, passed the string through the spring latch, and connected it to the loading mechanism attached to the top of the telescopic blade. Since I hadn't attached a battery to it yet, not knowing if it would even work, I tested it with a power supply and accidentally used 10 volts instead of 6 (oops!). Regardless of that, it worked beautifully and doesn't even look that ugly!

However, it doesn't work quite as much as I had hoped. You see, it pulls the blade back... but it can't pull it all the way back against the spring's resistance, so is doesn't reload and there still a portion of the blade sticking out of the handle.

So I need a new (bigger) motor that can bring the blade in even in spite of the spring resistance. I decided I would measure the exact force it takes to completely close the spring, and I discovered it takes approximately 12 Newtons of force. Unfortunately I haven't found anything on the web that can translate that into what sort of motor voltage or torque I would need to reach that amount of force.

What sort of advice to you guys have for me?

-Aspirant

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mechanical advantage, as in gears or pulleys, can multiply the force at the expense of speed.

anorlunda said:
Mechanical advantage, as in gears or pulleys, can multiply the force at the expense of speed.
even just wrapping the string around a smaller pulley.

Likes billy_joule
Is there anyway that I could get a superior motor without having to throw gears and such into the system? Or is there no small sized motor with that kind of power?

Aspirant said:
Or is there no small sized motor with that kind of power?

What kind of power do you mean? It's hard to answer your question because you don't say how much power you have or how much you need.

Ditch the spring and make the motor do both actions.

BoB

Likes anorlunda
To work out the power you need to know the pulley diameter and rpm in addition to the force.

How many sections is the "blade" constructed from?

BoB

1. What is the relationship between motor voltage and torque?

The relationship between motor voltage and torque is linear. This means that as the voltage increases, the torque produced by the motor also increases. Similarly, as the voltage decreases, the torque decreases.

2. How do I calculate the motor voltage needed for 12 Newtons of force?

To calculate the motor voltage needed for 12 Newtons of force, you will need to know the torque constant of the motor. This can be found in the motor's specifications. Then, use the formula V = T/Kt, where V is the voltage, T is the torque, and Kt is the torque constant. Plug in 12 Newtons for T and solve for V.

3. Can I use a motor with a lower voltage for 12 Newtons of force?

It is possible to use a motor with a lower voltage for 12 Newtons of force, but the motor may not be able to supply the desired torque. It is important to check the motor's specifications and make sure it can provide enough torque for the given voltage.

4. What is the maximum torque I can achieve with a 12-volt motor?

The maximum torque you can achieve with a 12-volt motor depends on the motor's specifications, specifically the torque constant. The higher the torque constant, the higher the maximum torque the motor can produce. It is important to refer to the motor's datasheet for this information.

5. How does changing the motor voltage affect the speed of the motor?

Changing the motor voltage can affect the speed of the motor in two ways. First, increasing the voltage will increase the speed of the motor. Second, increasing the voltage can also increase the torque of the motor, which can then be used to overcome external forces and maintain the desired speed. It is important to find the right balance between voltage and speed for your specific application.