How Do You Find the Cartesian Equation of a Parametric Curve?

In summary: In order to solve for t using the Cartesian equation, you would need to solve for x in terms of t (x= ln(y-1)^(1/2)).
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

Consider the parametric curve
x=ln(t) and
y= 1+t^2

i need to eliminate the parameter to find the cartesian equation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if i solve for t using x I get that t=e^x
but if i solve for t using y i get t=(y-1)^(1/2)

when i plug in x into y i get that y=1+e^2x

but plugging y into x i get that x= ln(y-1)^(1/2)

both of which have different domains of parameterization and i need to find the domain of parameterization

how can i know which to use? which is the correct one?

then part b says that: "since dx/dt=______ it is _____ along the domain of parameterization, the curve goes through ________________" I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO PUT THERE

because i thought i had to just put like dx/dt= 1/t and then i thought i had to put concave up or down but if i use y=1+e^x^2's domain i can't do that

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:
both of which have different domains of parameterization
I don't think they do.

Check your work. If, having done that, you still think that the two approaches give different domains, post your reasons why.

Frankenstein19 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the parametric curve
x=ln(t) and
y= 1+t^2

i need to eliminate the parameter to find the cartesian equation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if i solve for t using x I get that t=e^x
but if i solve for t using y i get t=(y-1)^(1/2)
Don't solve the second equation for t- just replace the "t" in the second equation by e^x.

when i plug in x into y i get that y=1+e^2x
You mean y= 1+ e^(2x) but, yes, that is correct.

but plugging y into x i get that x= ln(y-1)^(1/2)]

both of which have different domains of parameterization and i need to find the domain of parameterization

how can i know which to use? which is the correct one?
You get the "domains of parameterization from the original parametric equations, not from the Cartesian equations.
x= ln(t) so t must be positive.

[/quote]then part b says that: "since dx/dt=______ it is _____ along the domain of parameterization, the curve goes through ________________" I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO PUT THERE

because i thought i had to just put like dx/dt= 1/t and then i thought i had to put concave up or down but if i use y=1+e^x^2's domain i can't do that[/QUOTE]
Does "it" refer to the graph of the Cartesian equation? You had previously determined that that function was y= 1+ e^(2x), NOT y= 1+ e^(x^2).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve where the coordinates of points on the curve are expressed as functions of one or more parameters. This allows for more complex and dynamic curves to be described compared to traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2. How are parametric curves used in science?

Parametric curves are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in modeling and analyzing complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid flow, motion of objects, and the behavior of biological systems.

3. What are some common types of parametric curves?

Some common types of parametric curves include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. Other more complex curves can be described using parametric equations as well, such as the cardioid, cycloid, and epicycloid.

4. How do you plot a parametric curve?

To plot a parametric curve, you first need to determine the range of values for the parameter(s). Then, calculate the corresponding coordinates for each point on the curve using the parametric equations. Finally, plot the points on a graph and connect them to create the curve.

5. What are the advantages of using parametric curves over Cartesian coordinates?

Parametric curves offer several advantages over Cartesian coordinates, including the ability to describe more complex and dynamic curves, as well as the ability to easily manipulate and analyze the curve using calculus. They also allow for more efficient and accurate modeling of real-world systems and phenomena.