Help with Signals and Systems Differential Equation Problem

In summary, the student is having trouble with solving for the differential equation relating the input to the output. They have attempted to do so but are having difficulty. They ask for help and provide a summary of the content.
NHLspl09
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could receive any help on a homework problem I have. I need to find the differential equation relating the input to the output. I've began working on it but feel like I've hit a brick wall in my work, any input?

Homework Statement

Attachment - Problem
Working on part c

Homework Equations

Attachment - Work

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachment - Work

Attachments

• EE P1 Problem.png
    EE P1 Problem.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 478
  • EE P1 Work.png
    EE P1 Work.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at my solution:
http://www.mypicx.com/09032011/Solution/

I leave the rearranging terms to you.. By the way how do you upload the picture like what is shown in this page. I don't know how to do it..

You solved for i1 in terms of i2 and its derivatives. Now plug that into the other equation to eliminate i1 completely and leave you with x(t) in terms of i2 and its derivatives. Then since y(t) = L di2/dt, you can write i2 and its derivatives in terms of y(t).

yongs90 said:
Take a look at my solution:
http://www.mypicx.com/09032011/Solution/

I leave the rearranging terms to you.. By the way how do you upload the picture like what is shown in this page. I don't know how to do it..

The thing is I need to do it using differential equations and not in the s domain. All I do to upload pictures is scan a document to paint then save it as a jpeg file and upload it using the manage attachments tool here.

vela said:
You solved for i1 in terms of i2 and its derivatives. Now plug that into the other equation to eliminate i1 completely and leave you with x(t) in terms of i2 and its derivatives. Then since y(t) = L di2/dt, you can write i2 and its derivatives in terms of y(t).

Ok, I understand what you mean until you say to plug i1 into the other equation.. do you mean plug it into my x(dot) equation?? Where it is (i1-i2)?

Yes, plug it into the x-dot equation anywhere i1 appears.

vela said:
Yes, plug it into the x-dot equation anywhere i1 appears.

I've done so and then solved for [itex]\frac{di1}{dt}[/itex] in equation 3 and also plugged that into the x(dot) equation. Do I now take the derivative of this equation to leave it in terms of x?

Attachments

• EE P1 Work.2.png
    EE P1 Work.2.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 538
Equation 3 should be y(t)=L di2/dt.

vela said:
Equation 3 should be y(t)=L di2/dt.

If equation 3 is y(t)=L di2/dt, then I'm not quite sure where it is plugged into in the other formulas

I've been trying to restart the problem and look at it from a different approach but still no luck, any idea if I'm doing something wrong here? I've followed the same steps as taken in my notes from class and I can't seem to grasp this problem.

Edit: Any thoughts as to if I should be using KCL rather than KVL since I can't seem to figure this problem out?

Last edited:
Your original loop equations were
\begin{align*}
x(t) - R_1 i_1 - \frac{1}{C}\int (i_1-i_2)\,dt &= 0 \\
\frac{1}{C}\int(i_2-i_1)\,dt - R_2 i_2 - L_1 \frac{di_2}{dt} &= 0
\end{align*}
(I think you had a sign error in the second equation.) The last term in the second equation is the voltage across the inductor, right? In other words, it's y(t). That's what your equation (3) should have been. I'm not sure why you used i1 there instead. In fact, when you differentiated equation (2), you correctly expressed the derivatives of i2 in terms of y(t).

You then differentiated each equation and got
\begin{align*}
\dot{x}(t) - R_1 \frac{di_1}{dt} - \frac{1}{C}(i_1-i_2) &= 0 \\
\frac{1}{C}(i_2-i_1) - R_2 \frac{di_2}{dt} - L_1 \frac{d^2i_2}{dt^2} &= 0
\end{align*}
You then solved the second equation for i1 and obtained[tex]i_1 = i_2 - R_2 C \frac{di_2}{dt} - L_1C \frac{d^2i_2}{dt^2}[/tex]
Now just plug it into the first equation to get[tex]
\dot{x}(t) -
R_1 \frac{d}{dt} \left( i_2 - R_2 C \frac{di_2}{dt} - L_1C \frac{d^2i_2}{dt^2} \right) -
\frac{1}{C} \left[ \left( i_2 - R_2 C \frac{di_2}{dt} - L_1C \frac{d^2i_2}{dt^2}\right) -i_2 \right] = 0[/tex]
Note i1 is gone. Now simplify it and then use the fact that y(t) = L di2/dt to get rid of i2.

vela said:
Note i1 is gone. Now simplify it and then use the fact that y(t) = L di2/dt to get rid of i2.

Gotcha, my question is when you want to use y(t) = L di2/dt how in the world can you manipulate this to get rid of i2 throughout the xdot equation??

The same way you did it before after you solved for i1 after differentiating equation (2). What did you do back then?

I ended up solving for a final answer of xdot = R1([itex]\frac{y}{L1}[/itex]+R2C[itex]\frac{ydot}{L1}[/itex]+y(2dot)C)+(R2[itex]\frac{y}{L1}[/itex]+ydot). Thank you guys for all of your help and input on this problem!

Sorry, as you apparently realized, your original equations were right, and it was I who made the sign error in equation (2). So the loop equations are
\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{C}(i_2-i_1) + R_2 \frac{di_2}{dt} + L_1 \frac{d^2i_2}{dt^2} &= 0
\end{align*}
which ultimately lead to the answer you found.

vela said:
Sorry, as you apparently realized, your original equations were right, and it was I who made the sign error in equation (2). So the loop equations are
\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{C}(i_2-i_1) + R_2 \frac{di_2}{dt} + L_1 \frac{d^2i_2}{dt^2} &= 0
\end{align*}
which ultimately lead to the answer you found.

No problem at all! I figured it out last night with one of my friends in my course and figured I would post my final answer. Thank you very much for your help and input!

Related to Help with Signals and Systems Differential Equation Problem

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is commonly used in modeling physical systems and predicting their behavior over time.

2. How is a differential equation related to signals and systems?

Signals and systems involve the study of how signals (such as sound, light, or electrical signals) are processed and transformed through a system. Differential equations can be used to model the behavior of signals and systems, making it an important tool in this field.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation would have a first derivative, while a second-order differential equation would have a second derivative.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. The specific method used will depend on the type and complexity of the differential equation.

5. Can you give an example of a signals and systems differential equation problem?

One example of a signals and systems differential equation problem is the damped harmonic oscillator, which models the motion of a mass attached to a spring with friction. It can be represented by the second-order differential equation: m * d^2x/dt^2 + b * dx/dt + kx = F(t), where m is the mass, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and F(t) is an external force. Solving this equation can help us understand the behavior of the system over time.