Help with two problems relating to universal gravitation

In summary: To find the correct speed you should use R=6401000 m and not R=6400 m.In summary, the conversation discusses the attempted strategies for solving Problem 5 and 6 and the confusion surrounding them. The expert summarizes the different approaches used and points out mistakes in the calculations. They also suggest a quicker way to solve Problem 5. The expert also notes that the incorrect answer for Problem 6 may be due to a mistake in the given values.
TextClick
Homework Statement
5) Jupiter has a mass about 300 times that of Earth, and its radius is about 11 times that of Earth. What would would be the approximate weight of a 5 kg rock on the surface of Jupiter?

6) A satellite is placed in a circular orbit 100.0 km above Earth's surface. a) What is the speed of the satellite? b) How many minutes does it take the satellite to complete one orbit?
Relevant Equations
Newton's Law of Universal Gravitational Force
F=(Gm1m2/r^2)

Kepler's Third Law
(Ta/Tb)^2=(ra/rb)^3

Newton's Form of Kepler's Third Law
T^2=(4pi^2/Gm)(r^3)
IMG_7451.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
In problem 5 please explain your attempted strategy. It's not clear. Try using the given equation ##g=\dfrac{Gm}{r^2}## to find the ratio ##\dfrac{g_{Jupiter}}{g_{Earth}}##.

In Problem 6a you use the appropriate equations but it looks like your calculation of the speed gives an incorrect number. Because you got that number wrong, 6b turned out wrong too.

Do you have a specific question to ask? It looks like you have gone over all this before and jotted down the correct answers in red.

In hindsight, I don't understand my attempted strategy for Problem 5. Would you care to explain the process of solving it? Thanks!

This was a test, and the teacher did go over the answers, but I do not understand how to complete them.

5) So I used your suggestion and plugged my values into the equation.

g=(6.67x10^-11)(1.79x10^27)/(7.04x10^7)=1.70x10^9 N

6) I redid 6a and got a different answer.

v=√(g.g7x10^-11)(5.97x10^24)/(6400100)=7888 m/s^2

Using that answer I redid 6b.

7888=2pi(6.4x10^6)/T=5096 s= 84.94 min

I am still confused by Problem 5, but for Problem 6, the answer is relatively close. It may have to do with rounding.

TextClick said:
5) So I used your suggestion and plugged my values into the equation.

g=(6.67x10^-11)(1.79x10^27)/(7.04x10^7)=1.70x10^9 N

There are two ways to do problem 5. You have tried the first way, which is to calculate the mass of Jupiter, calculate the radius of Jupiter and then calculate the surface gravity of Jupiter.

Your mistake is that you divided by the radius. It should be the square of the radius.

A quicker way was to relate the surface gravity of Jupiter to the surface gravity of Earth:

##g_J = \frac{GM_J}{R_J^2} = \frac{300}{11^2}\frac{GM_E}{R_E^2} = \frac{300}{121}g_E##

To do it this way, you don't need to know ##G## or the mass and size of either planet. You only need the Earth's surface gravity.

TextClick said:
v=√(g.g7x10^-11)(5.97x10^24)/(6400100)=7888 m/s^2

Using that answer I redid 6b.

7888=2pi(6.4x10^6)/T=5096 s= 84.94 min

but for Problem 6, the answer is relatively close. It may have to do with rounding.

It may have to do with putting the satellite only ##100m## and not ##100km## about the Earth's surface.

• Haha
Likes phinds

What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a scientific law that describes the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are the two main problems related to universal gravitation?

The two main problems related to universal gravitation are the calculation of the force of gravity and the determination of the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. These problems are solved using the universal gravitation formula and the laws of motion, respectively.

How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects can be calculated using the universal gravitation formula: F = G * (m1 * m2)/d^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is known as the acceleration due to gravity and is determined by the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

What are the practical applications of universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation has many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of planets and satellites, calculating the force of gravity between objects on Earth, and understanding the behavior of celestial bodies like stars and galaxies.