Hertzian contact theory on sin and cosine plane

In summary, Hertzian contact theory is a scientific theory developed by Heinrich Hertz in the late 19th century that describes the contact and deformation between two elastic bodies under applied forces. It takes into account the shape of the contacting bodies and has various applications in engineering and materials science. However, it has limitations such as not considering friction and plastic deformation, and only being applicable to elastic materials.
grecko94
Hello guys, i`m currently making simulation of 2 dimension rolling disk on elastic sin/cosine plane. I`m just wondering if the theory applicable.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a sin/cosine plane? We need a definition/description here before there can be a useful answer.

so sorry, i forgot to add the figure

キャプチャ.PNG

something like this, but the cos surface is elastic and the disk is solid object.

Attachments

• キャプチャ.PNG
    キャプチャ.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 387
  • キャプチャ.PNG
    キャプチャ.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 308
I cannot see any reason to doubt the applicability of Hertz' theory here.

Likes BvU
its settled then ! thank you :smile:

What is Hertzian contact theory?

Hertzian contact theory is a scientific theory that describes the contact and deformation between two elastic bodies under the influence of applied forces. It was developed by Heinrich Hertz in the late 19th century.

How does Hertzian contact theory relate to the sin and cosine plane?

Hertzian contact theory takes into account the shape of the contacting bodies, which is often represented as a sin or cosine curve on the contact plane. This allows for a more accurate description of the contact and deformation between the bodies.

What are the assumptions of Hertzian contact theory?

The main assumptions of Hertzian contact theory include: the bodies are elastic and homogeneous, the contact surfaces are smooth and non-adhesive, and the deformation is small and within the elastic limit of the materials.

What are the applications of Hertzian contact theory?

Hertzian contact theory has various applications in engineering and materials science, such as predicting the contact stresses and deformations in mechanical components, understanding the wear and fatigue of materials, and designing better contact interfaces.

What are the limitations of Hertzian contact theory?

Some of the limitations of Hertzian contact theory include: it does not consider the effects of friction, adhesion, and plastic deformation, it is only applicable to elastic materials, and it does not account for the non-uniformity of contact pressure distribution.