Hey I have a question about inequalities

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an inequality with a degree higher than 6 that has the solution x<-3 or 0<x<2 or 2<x<6. The participants mention studying polynomials in factored form and suggest looking at textbook and class notes for similar examples. They also mention that the polynomial will have roots at x = -3, x = 0, x = 2, and x = 6, which can help determine the factors. The conversation closes with a reminder to start a new thread when the OP has a better understanding of how to solve the problem.
MartynaJ
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Determine a possible inequality question (in any form) with a degree higher than 6 the has the solution: x<-3 or 0<x<2 or 2<x<6. Justify your solution in full detail
Relevant Equations
x<-3 or 0<x<2 or 2<x<6
I am honestly not sure where to start. Please give me a hint on how to solve this problem. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread is in Moderation pending approval...

MartynaJ said:
Homework Statement:: Determine a possible inequality question (in any form) with a degree higher than 6 the has the solution: x<-3 or 0<x<2 or 2<x<6. Justify your solution in full detail
Relevant Equations:: x<-3 or 0<x<2 or 2<x<6

I am honestly not sure where to start. Please give me a hint on how to solve this problem. Thanks!
What does an inequality with a degree higher than 6 mean in this context? Have you studied that yet? (and if not, why are they asking you this question?)

berkeman said:
What does an inequality with a degree higher than 6 mean in this context?
The OP probably has studied polynomials (in factored form), and is asked to solve an inequality something like p(x) > 0, where p(x) is a polynomial of degree >= 6.

Likes berkeman
Mark44 said:
The OP probably has studied polynomials (in factored form), and is asked to solve an inequality something like p(x) > 0, where p(x) is a polynomial of degree >= 6.
Ya we studied polynomials in factors form, but I am not sure how I can solve this.

MartynaJ said:
Ya we studied polynomials in factors form, but I am not sure how I can solve this.
Then I suggest you look at your textbook and class notes to see if there is a similar example.
Given the inequalities x<-3 or 0<x<2 or 2<x<6 , the polynomial will have roots (x-intercepts) at x = -3, x = 0, x = 2, and x = 6. This should suggest what the factors should be.

Since you haven't shown any work in this thread, I am closing it. When you have some idea of what to do, please start a new thread.

1. What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two values or quantities and show the relationship between them. They use symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to represent the relationship.

2. How do you solve inequalities?

To solve inequalities, you follow similar rules as solving equations, but with one important difference. If you multiply or divide both sides of an inequality by a negative number, you must flip the inequality symbol. For example, if you have -3x > 12, dividing both sides by -3 would result in x < -4.

3. What is the difference between solving an inequality and graphing it?

Solving an inequality means finding the range of values that satisfy the inequality. Graphing an inequality means plotting all the values that satisfy the inequality on a number line or coordinate plane.

4. How do you know if a point is a solution to an inequality?

To check if a point is a solution to an inequality, you can substitute the values of the point into the inequality and see if it results in a true statement. If it does, then the point is a solution to the inequality.

5. Can inequalities have more than one solution?

Yes, inequalities can have infinitely many solutions. This is because the range of values that satisfy an inequality can be a continuous set of numbers, such as all real numbers between two given values.