High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation - House Wiring Puzzle

In summary, the wiring in this outlet box is causing high AC magnetic EMF emanation. There is nothing wrong with the wiring itself, but the layout is bad and could cause electricians to get injured or killed.
Curiousphy
Hi, please see attached image below. Do you know why the indicated outlet, out of everything in this mess of a circuit, has particularly high AC Magnetic EMF emanation? The wiring inside the outlet box looks normal and standard (2 neutrals on left, 2 hots on right, grounded correctly, no ground to neutral connection), I even replaced it with a different receptacle, same phenomenon. It's also not caused by external fields, because disconnecting the latter part of the circuit brings the field back down to normal.

What physical phenomenon could explain this? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the red wires at the smoke alarms and the red wire at the switch and outlet just below the alarms? And is the fan light always on?

Last edited:
The red wires are the signal wires for the smoke alarms. The red wire at the switch below the alarms controls the split receptacle. When the fan lights are on, the field at the problem receptacle goes up to >4 mG. When they are off, the receptacle is at 0.9 mG. If the smoke alarm hot line is disconnected, it falls to 0.2 mG. I would have expected all receptacles prior to the alarms to exhibit the same characteristic, but no, it's just that one receptacle... but when you look inside the box, there's nothing special or wrong about it..

In that 'problem' receptacle, try twisting the insulated portion of the Black and White wires around each other.

Curiousphy said:
What physical phenomenon could explain this? Thanks!
A total abortion of a wiring layout, that's what ... OMG ... that would have electricians rolling over in their graves.
I have never seen something so bad ( and I'm not talking about the drawing).

#1 rule, you should not have power outlets on the same circuits as lighting
give them separate circuits and circuit breakers
and considering all your outlets are double sockets, I would strongly suggest that they be divided into at least 2 sections 2 x lots of 4 outlets each group with their own breakers

Get your wiring sorted out and THEN see if any of your other problems still exist

D

As others said, there are serious errors in this wiring. Errors that could injure or kill. This is definitely a case where a professional electrician is worth the cost.

But we do not give professional advice here on PF. Thread closed.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur, davenn and berkeman

1. What is High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation?

High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation refers to the amount of electromagnetic fields (EMF) that are emitted from the wiring in a house. These EMF fields are created by the flow of electricity through the wires and can have potential health effects on individuals who are exposed to high levels.

2. How does house wiring contribute to High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation?

House wiring is responsible for the majority of High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation. The wires in a house carry electricity and create magnetic fields around them. The strength of these fields depends on the amount of current flowing through the wires and the distance from the wires.

3. What are the potential health effects of High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation?

Exposure to high levels of AC Magnetic EMF can potentially cause health effects such as headaches, fatigue, and dizziness. Some studies have also linked long-term exposure to increased risk of certain types of cancer. However, more research is needed to fully understand the health effects of EMF exposure.

4. How can I reduce High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation in my house?

One way to reduce High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation is to limit the use of high-powered electrical devices and appliances. You can also rearrange furniture to create a larger distance between yourself and the wiring in your house. Another option is to install shielding materials, such as metal sheets or special paint, around the wiring to reduce the amount of EMF emitted.

5. Is there a safe level of High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation?

Currently, there is no universally agreed upon safe level of High AC Magnetic EMF Emanation. However, most experts recommend limiting exposure to below 2 milligauss, which is the average level found in a typical household. It is important to note that some individuals may be more sensitive to EMF and may need to limit exposure even further.