Highway: Deriving speed from Doppler shift

In summary, the author heard a motorcycle travelling at 125km/h and estimated that the frequency of its engine had been doubled. They tried to calculate how fast the motorcycle was travelling by using the equation for calculating the Doppler shift of a wave, however they ran into trouble because they didn't have the exact frequency of the engine. They eventually solved the equation by assuming the motorcycle was stationary and using reasonable assumptions.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Can I compute the speed of a passing motorcycle from the Doppler shift of its motor?
I passed a motorcycle on the highway going the opposite direction. I know I was doing 125/km/h. I estimated that the frequency of his motor dropped by an entire octave, so that's a doubling of the wavelength.

My intuition is telling me that's extremely unlikely. I can't actually calculate how fast he was going with just that information, can I?

It seems to me, I have to know the absolute frequency of one of those tones, either shifted up or down or unshifted, yes?

I tried to mimic the tone. The up-shifted tone was about as high as I can hum without scrunching up my face. Using an online pitch analyzer I (subsequently) estimate that was about 440Hz (and the lower tone then being 220Hz).

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that you have to add your relative velocities, since you were both moving...

Likes DaveC426913
Yah, no. I'm not sure how to do this. For starters, I need to figure out what the un-shifted freq is (since that's what the equation starts with). It's logarithmically halfway between 220 and 440. which looks like it's about ... 311?
1689984098856.png

This is what happens if I plug it into a Doppler shift calculator:
1689984182693.png

1689984213886.png

If my numbers were right, I should get a consistent source velocity between the two, just with an inverted sign, correct?

So I have to ask myself where I made the (biggest) error. Either it wasn't a full octave shift I heard, or it wasn't 440Hz when it was oncoming.

Lets assume I was right about the octave and wrong about the up-shifted frequency.

My question then becomes: what would the relative velocity have to be to produce a doubling of wavelength from up-shifted to down-shifted Doppler pitches?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
I need to figure out what the un-shifted fre
Yes, and you won't solve one equation in two unknowns. You need at least two frequency measurements at two angles, and more information is better. Then you can do a fit.

Actually I think one needs to calculate each velocity relative to the still air. I don't think you need absolute frequency
Let ##\alpha## be your Mach number and ##\beta ## be that of the motorcycle then $$f_{\pm}=f_0 \frac {1\pm \alpha} {1\mp \beta}$$

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, and you won't solve one equation in two unknowns. You need at least two frequency measurements at two angles, and more information is better. Then you can do a fit.
Right so I fix one unknown in terms of the other:

...what would the relative velocity have to be to produce a doubling of wavelength from up-shifted to down-shifted Doppler pitches?

So I set up-shifted = 2 * down-shifted.

OK, so I want to set
$$\alpha = 2* \beta$$

I sent that prematurely. Butt keyboarding...... let me patch it up

Actually I think one needs to calculate each velocity relative to the still air. I don't think you need absolute frequency
Let ##\alpha## be your Mach number and ##\beta ## be that of the motorcycle then $$f_{\pm}=f_0 \frac {1\pm \alpha} {1\mp \beta}$$

where $$\Delta f =f_+-f_-$$ and you want $$\frac {\Delta f} {f_0}= \frac 1 2$$

Suppose for simplicity you are both moving the same speed ##\alpha=\beta##. I get $$\alpha =\frac 1 {\sqrt 3} $$
Might be correct.....

DaveC426913 said:
Yah, no. I'm not sure how to do this. For starters, I need to figure out what the un-shifted freq is (since that's what the equation starts with). It's logarithmically halfway between 220 and 440. which is about ... 305? Let me check a pitch chart....
I don't think you need to calculate the actual engine frequency, though it takes ephemeral part in the equations.

Simplifying to a stationary observer and applying reasonable assumptions :

Coming in at half the speed of sound would be up an octave : doubling frequency. ##f_{in}=\frac c {c-v}f##

Leaving at half the speed of sound would be 2/3 frequency. ##f_{out}=\frac c {c+v} f##

so we can get to...

$$f_{in} \times \frac {c-v} {c} = f_{out} \times \frac {c+v} {c} $$ $$\Rightarrow$$ $$\frac {f_{in}} {f_{out}} = \frac {c+v} {c-v} $$

Last edited:
Yah. My intuition was telling me there's no way you can get a full octave change at any plausible highway speeds.

I mean he was goin' fast, but he wasn't goin' fighter jet fast.

• Haha
Likes Juanda and hutchphd
DaveC426913 said:
Yah. My intuition was telling me there's no way you can get a full octave change at any plausible highway speeds.

I mean he was goin' fast, but he wasn't goin' fighter jet fast.
Well... for a stationary observer, that'd be ~410km/h, but for a moving one ? If I'm putting the offset in the right place, that's 285km/h = 177mph ; not inconceivable.

Likes DaveC426913
hmmm27 said:
Well... for a stationary observer, that'd be ~410km/h, but for a moving one ? If I'm putting the offset in the right place, that's 285km/h = 177mph ; not inconceivable.
Really!? Huh.

DaveC426913 said:
Really!? Huh.
The 410's solid for a stationary observer : referring to previous equation : ##\frac {f_{in}} {f_{out}} = \frac {c+v} {c-v} \Rightarrow 2 = \frac {1230 + x} {1230 - x} \Rightarrow x=1230/3=410 ##. Pretty sure that - based on puttering around with the doppler effect a few years ago, probably here somewheres - offsetting by your 125 is that simple as long as nobody hits Mach 1 in any way, shape or form.

hmmm27 said:
The 410's solid for a stationary observer : referring to previous equation : ##\frac {f_{in}} {f_{out}} = \frac {c+v} {c-v} \Rightarrow 2 = \frac {1230 + x} {1230 - x} \Rightarrow x=1230/3=410 ##. Pretty sure that - based on puttering around with the doppler effect a few years ago, probably here somewheres - offsetting by your 125 is that simple as long as nobody hits Mach 1 in any way, shape or form.
So, to be clear, 285km/h (absolute) would have produced the perceived effect.

I pulled the (1d) formula out of a handy orifice [edit: it jives with Wp:Doppler Effect], but the numbers add up. Your relative velocity is the biker's speed plus yours : a (constant, subsonic) relative wind velocity doesn't affect pitch shifting, so subtracting your groundspeed should give the biker's groundspeed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DaveC426913
hutchphd said:
you want $$\frac {\Delta f} {f_0}= \frac 1 2$$

Suppose for simplicity you are both moving the same speed ##\alpha=\beta##. I get $$\alpha =\frac 1 {\sqrt 3} $$
If both are at the same speed there is no frequency shift between them.

Same speed. Opposite velocity. Jeez.

hutchphd said:
Same speed. Opposite velocity. Jeez.
Sorry I misread the OP.

Likes hutchphd
hmmm27 said:
I pulled the (1d) formula out of a handy orifice
I saw what you did there... :oldbiggrin:

1. How does Doppler shift work in determining speed on a highway?

The Doppler shift is a phenomenon that occurs when there is relative motion between a source of waves (such as a car) and an observer (such as a police officer with a radar gun). When the source and observer are moving closer together, the waves appear to have a higher frequency (shorter wavelength) and when they are moving away from each other, the waves appear to have a lower frequency (longer wavelength). This change in frequency can be used to calculate the speed of the source, in this case, a car on the highway.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of speed measurements using Doppler shift?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of speed measurements using Doppler shift. These include the angle of the radar gun relative to the direction of the car's motion, the speed of the car, and any obstructions or other sources of waves (such as other cars) that may interfere with the measurement.

3. Can Doppler shift be used to determine the speed of multiple cars on a highway at the same time?

Yes, Doppler shift can be used to determine the speed of multiple cars on a highway at the same time. However, this requires multiple radar guns or a radar gun that can quickly switch between different targets. In addition, the accuracy of the measurements may be affected by the presence of other sources of waves on the highway.

4. How does the accuracy of Doppler shift compare to other methods of speed measurement?

Doppler shift is generally considered to be a fairly accurate method of speed measurement. However, its accuracy can be affected by various factors, as mentioned in the answer to question 2. Other methods of speed measurement, such as pacing or using a laser gun, may also have their own limitations and sources of error.

5. Are there any limitations to using Doppler shift for speed measurement on a highway?

One limitation of using Doppler shift for speed measurement on a highway is that it can only measure the speed of a car in a straight line. It cannot accurately measure the speed of a car that is changing lanes or making turns. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by weather conditions, such as heavy rain or fog, which can interfere with the waves used in the measurement.