History of computer hardware -

In summary: I don't want to hijack his post, so I'll just say that rcgldr is correct in that vacuum tubes were used in early radios.
jd12345
Today computer hardware is based on integrated circuits. Its based on digital logic and use transistors etc...(i am not an expert)
But looking on the history of computer hardware- First computers were all mechanical which I understand because of lack of technology. And after than computer were based on vacuum tubes. I don't understand what are these. What are vacuum tubes and how can they be used to make a computer?

I understand todays technology, we have gates which can manipulate binary signals and using this we can do various stuff. But what's the basic idea behind vacuum tubes and earlier technologies? How did they work?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Vacuum tubes are - in a way - analogous to the semiconductor elements. Just like you can build your circuit from semiconductor diodes and transistors, you can build the circuit from the vacuum tube diodes and triodes (or tetrodes, pentodes...). Yes, they are different, and it is not just a matter of replacing one with the other, but on the very general level there is no difference - you have active elements with known properties, and they can be used as building blocks.

Well are vacuum tubes very complicated electric devices because I didn't study them in my school whereas I did study semiconductor devices.
Can you give some examples of basic operations that these vacuum tubes can do? Like semiconductor devices - the most basic things they can do are:- performing and, or operations on two binary signals.
Also if possible can you just give the idea behind how these vacuum tubes work?

Thank you!

They are quite simple. Start with wikipedia, I believe it contains enough information.

Basically it is a vacuum tube (as the name implies) with electrodes planted inside. One of the electrodes - cathode - is heated up to emit electrons (which is why vacuum tubes based radios had to warm up before starting to work). Other electrodes are there to to collect the electrons (anode) and to control the flow of the electrons. For example in triode applying voltage to the controlling electrode (which is placed between anode and cathode) you can control the current between the anode and the cathode.

Edit: I see rcgldr posted while I was editing.

What is the history of computer hardware?

The history of computer hardware refers to the development of physical components and devices that make up a computer system. This includes the evolution of processors, memory, storage devices, input/output devices, and other essential components.

When did the development of computer hardware begin?

The development of computer hardware can be traced back to the 19th century with the invention of the first mechanical calculating machine by Charles Babbage. However, the modern era of computer hardware began in the 1940s with the development of the first electronic computer, ENIAC.

What are some major milestones in the history of computer hardware?

Some major milestones in the history of computer hardware include the development of the first microprocessor in 1971, the introduction of personal computers in the 1980s, the rise of graphical user interfaces in the 1990s, and the advancement of mobile and wearable technology in the 21st century.

How has computer hardware evolved over time?

Computer hardware has evolved significantly over time, becoming smaller, faster, and more powerful. The size of computers has shrunk from room-sized machines to portable devices that fit in our pockets. Processing power has also increased exponentially, allowing for more complex tasks to be completed in a fraction of the time.

What is the future of computer hardware?

The future of computer hardware is constantly evolving, but some potential developments include the use of quantum computing, the integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning, and the advancement of virtual and augmented reality technologies. Additionally, there is a growing focus on creating more sustainable and eco-friendly computer hardware.