Homeomorphism in a Banach space

In summary: Since it's proove let's we can wright $$A + f = A o (I - A^{-1}of)$$and by the hypothesis we've got $$A^{-1} o f$$ $$k||A^{-1}|| < 1$$ lipshitzian.So it's conclude.
Calabi
Member warned about posting with no effort shown
Hello,

1. Homework Statement

Let be E a banach space, A a continuous automorphsim(by the banach theorem his invert is continus too.). and f a k lipshitzian fonction with $$k < \frac{1}{||A^{-1}||}$$.

Homework Equations

$$k < \frac{1}{||A^{-1}||}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to show that A + f is bijectiv and is invert is continuous too.

I have no real clue for that in the moment.
Could you help me please?

Thank ou in avnace and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks to @Krylov , here is a tip: Banach fixed-point theorem.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Hello and good year. Could you be more precise please?

Calabi said:
Hello and good year. Could you be more precise please?
Good year.

This tip is really all you need to solve the problem. You could look up what the Banach fixed-point theorem exactly says, and then see how it applies to this problem.

Likes S.G. Janssens
OK I'm going to think about it.

Hello and have a nice year : first : $$||A^{-1} o f|| < ||A^{-1}|| ||f|| < kA^{-1} < 1$$ sol let be h in the continious fonction forme E to E with $$h o (Id + A^{-1}f) = (Id + A^{-1}of) o h = Id$$. Since A linear we've got $$(A + f) o h = A \Leftrightarrow (A+f)oh o A^{-1} = Id$$. I don't know if that mean there's an inverse at right.
At least my invert is continous.

Calabi said:
Hello and have a nice year : first : $$||A^{-1} o f|| < ||A^{-1}|| ||f|| < kA^{-1} < 1$$ sol let be h in the continious fonction forme E to E with $$h o (Id + A^{-1}f) = (Id + A^{-1}of) o h = Id$$. Since A linear we've got $$(A + f) o h = A \Leftrightarrow (A+f)oh o A^{-1} = Id$$. I don't know if that mean there's an inverse at right.
At least my invert is continous.
I'm not sure I understand this: for instance; where does this h come from?

Maybe someone else understand what you did and can comment, in that case just disregard what follows.

The way I would approach this (using @Krylov 's tip, but maybe not in the way he meant it):
First consider the simple case where A=I (the identity) and Lip(f)=k<1, and prove that I-f is invertible and the inverse is Lipschitz.

Proving that I-f is injective is easy (and yields the Lipschitz constant for the inverse of I-f).
EDIT: see the following posts.

In order to prove that I-f is surjective, use the Banach fixed-point theorem.
Hint: take y∈E, and consider the mapping Y: E→E defined by Y(x)=y+f(x). Can we apply the Banach fixed-point theorem to Y? And if so, what does it say about the surjectivity of I-f?

Again, maybe your proof is correct, if so, just disregard this.

Last edited:
Samy's suggestion is just fine, but I don't think it's necessary to consider surjectivity and injectivity separately.

Krylov said:
Samy's suggestion is just fine, but I don't think it's necessary to consider surjectivity and injectivity separately.
Oh yes, you get injectivity from the uniqueness of the fixed point.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Hello every body the fact is I'm not sure of my first equality. It's not even sur that $$||f||$$ exist(exept if f is nul in 0.).
At least I try something(even if i think it could be true.). anyway.
Let suppose i - f is not injctive and let's consider x in y in E with $$x \neq y and x - f(x) = y - f(x)$$
We get y = x which is absurde. Let's take this by the beginning : we want to show that y as got an antecedant by I - f.
Let's create $$\phi(x) = y + f(x)$$. It's clearly k < 1 lipshitzian. So let's applic the banach theorem, we find x in E with $$x - f(x) = E$$ which proove the surjectivity.

Since it's proove let's we can wright $$A + f = A o (I - A^{-1}of)$$
and by the hypothesis we've got $$A^{-1} o f$$ $$k||A^{-1}|| < 1$$ lipshitzian.
So it's conclude.

Oh ther's also to proove that the inverse of I - f lipshitzian

Calabi said:
Hello every body the fact is I'm not sure of my first equality. It's not even sur that $$||f||$$ exist(exept if f is nul in 0.).
At least I try something(even if i think it could be true.). anyway.
Let suppose i - f is not injctive and let's consider x in y in E with $$x \neq y and x - f(x) = y - f(x)$$
We get y = x which is absurde.
You get ##x-f(x)=y-f(y)##, not ##x - f(x) = y - f(x)##, so this part of your proof is not correct (or at least incomplete).
Calabi said:
Let's take this by the beginning : we want to show that y as got an antecedant by I - f.
Let's create $$\phi(x) = y + f(x)$$. It's clearly k < 1 lipshitzian. So let's applic the banach theorem, we find x in E with $$x - f(x) = E$$ which proove the surjectivity.
You probably meant that the Banach fixed-point theorem gives you a ##x\in E## for which ##x-f(x)=y## (not ##=E## as you wrote). This part is correct.
Calabi said:
Since it's proove let's we can wright $$A + f = A o (I - A^{-1}of)$$
and by the hypothesis we've got $$A^{-1} o f$$ $$k||A^{-1}|| < 1$$ lipshitzian.
So it's conclude.
Yes, this way you get the general case from the particular case where A=I. You have the sign wrong in ##A + f = A o (I - A^{-1}of)##, but that is no big deal, as what you proved is equally true for ##-f##.

You still have two issues left:
1) Injectivity (though that is almost done with what you have, the hint has already been given previously).
2) Show that the inverse is Lipschitz too.

Last edited:
As it came up elsewhere, I'd like to add to this thread the proof that the inverse of ##I-f## is a Lipschitz function (under the assumptions of post #7).
Take ##x, y \in E##. Then, since ##f## is Lipschitz with Lipschitz constant ##k \lt 1##, ##\|f(x)-f(y)\|\leq k\|x-y\|##
Using the triangle inequality, one gets:
##\|(I-f)(x)-(I-f)(y)\|=\|x-y-(f(x)-f(y))\| \geq \|x-y\|-\|f(x)-f(y)\| \geq \|x-y\| -k\|x-y\|=(1-k)\|x-y\|##.
This shows that the inverse of ##I-f## is a Lipschitz function with Lipschitz constant ##\leq \frac{1}{1-k}##.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
This shows that the inverse of ##I−f## is a Lipschitz function with Lipschitz constant ##≤\frac{1}{1−k}##
Maybe I'm just too blind to see, but I didn't get it.
We have ##||(I-f)(x)-(I-f)(y)|| \geq q ||x-y||## for a ##1>q>0##. How does this turn into an upper bound?

fresh_42 said:
Maybe I'm just too blind to see, but I didn't get it.
We have ##||(I-f)(x)-(I-f)(y)|| \geq q ||x-y||## for a ##q>0##. How does this turn into an upper bound?
I should have added the following.

Set ##T=(I-f)^{-1}##.
Take ##x', y' \in E##. Set ##x=Tx', y=Ty'##
As shown above, we have ##\|(I-f)(x)-(I-f)(y)\| \geq (1-k)\|x-y\|##.
This give ##\|x'-y'\| \geq (1-k)\|Tx'-Ty'\|##, or ##\|Tx'-Ty'\| \leq \frac{1}{1-k}\|x'-y'\|##.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've just forgotten the "inverse of" part before ##I-f##.
Edit: you should have written ##(I-f)^{-1}## for dummies like me :frown:

fresh_42 said:
Thanks. I've just forgotten the "inverse of" part before ##I-f##.
Edit: you should have written ##(I-f)^{-1}## for dummies like me :frown:
I agree (not about the "dummies" :smile:).
Let's rewrite it in terms of ##T=(I-f)^{-1}##. (As it is shorter and clearer.)

For ##x \in E##, ##(I-f)Tx=x##, so that ##Tx=x+f(Tx)##

Take any ##x,y \in E##:
##\|Tx-Ty\|=\|x+f(Tx)-y-f(Ty)\|=\|x-y+f(Tx)-f(Ty)\| \leq \|x-y\|+\|f(Tx)-f(Ty)\| \\ \leq \|x-y\| + k\|Tx-Ty\|##
Or ##\|Tx-Ty\|-k\|Tx-Ty\| =(1-k) \|Tx-Ty\| \leq \|x-y\|##.
Hence ##\|Tx-Ty\| \leq \frac{1}{1-k}\|x-y\|##, proving that ##T=(I-f)^{-1}## is a Lipschitz function.

1. What is a homeomorphism in a Banach space?

A homeomorphism in a Banach space is a continuous, bijective, and open mapping between two Banach spaces. It preserves the topological properties of the space, such as continuity, compactness, and connectedness.

2. What is the significance of homeomorphisms in Banach spaces?

Homeomorphisms are important in Banach spaces because they allow us to study and compare different spaces, as well as understand the structure and behavior of these spaces. They also play a crucial role in various mathematical theories, such as topology and functional analysis.

3. How is a homeomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A homeomorphism preserves the topological properties of a space, while an isomorphism preserves the algebraic and geometric properties. In other words, a homeomorphism only considers the structure of the space, while an isomorphism takes into account additional properties such as vector space operations.

4. Can a homeomorphism exist between two Banach spaces with different dimensions?

No, a homeomorphism can only exist between two Banach spaces with the same dimension. This is because a homeomorphism is a bijective mapping, which means it must have the same number of elements in both spaces.

5. How are homeomorphisms used in practical applications?

Homeomorphisms are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer science, to model and solve real-world problems. For example, in fluid dynamics, homeomorphisms are used to represent the deformation of a fluid body, while in computer graphics, they are used to create seamless transformations between different shapes and objects.