Homomorphisms and Calculating Elements

In summary: I have a bad habit of over-trying things, I guess (I was trying to show that the homomorphism could be extended to ##\mathbb{Z}##, but I was obviously overdoing things). Thank you for your response!
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##G## is a cyclic group with generator ##g##, that ##H## is some arbitrary group, and that ##\phi : G \rightarrow H## is a homomorphism. Show that knowing ##\phi (g)### let's you compute ##\phi(g_1)## ##\forall g_1 \in G##

Homework Equations

##\phi(g^n) = \phi(\underbrace{g~\star_G~ g~ \star_G~ g ... \star_G~ g}_{n|}) = \underbrace{\phi (g) \star_H \phi(g) \star_H ... \star_H \phi(g)}_{|n|} = \phi(g)^n ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##g_1 \in G## be arbitrary. This implies that ##\exists k \in \mathbb{Z}## such that ##g_1 = g^k##.

##\phi(g_1 \star_G g ) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g^k \star_G g) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g^{k+1}) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g)^{k+1} \star_H \phi(g)^{-1} = \phi(g_1) \iff##

##\phi(g)^k = \phi(g_1)##

This seems correct, but I am unsure. If this is correct, though, does this imply that ##H## is also cyclic, where ##\phi(g)## is the generator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##G## is a cyclic group with generator ##g##, that ##H## is some arbitrary group, and that ##\phi : G \rightarrow H## is a homomorphism. Show that knowing ##\phi (g)### let's you compute ##\phi(g_1)## ##\forall g_1 \in G##

Homework Equations

##\phi(g^n) = \phi(\underbrace{g~\star_G~ g~ \star_G~ g ... \star_G~ g}_{n|}) = \underbrace{\phi (g) \star_H \phi(g) \star_H ... \star_H \phi(g)}_{|n|} = \phi(g)^n ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##g_1 \in G## be arbitrary. This implies that ##\exists k \in \mathbb{Z}## such that ##g_1 = g^k##.

##\phi(g_1 \star_G g ) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g^k \star_G g) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g^{k+1}) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g)^{k+1} \star_H \phi(g)^{-1} = \phi(g_1) \iff##

##\phi(g)^k = \phi(g_1)##

This seems correct, but I am unsure. If this is correct, though, does this imply that ##H## is also cyclic, where ##\phi(g)## is the generator?

Wouldn't it be much simpler just to say ##\phi(g_1)=\phi(g^k)=\phi(g)^k##?? I don't know what all the extra stuff is for. And no, it doesn't mean H is cyclic. It does mean that the image of G under ##\phi## is a cyclic subgroup of H.

Hmm...yes, it would have been terribly simpler, had I done that...

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the algebraic structure of a set. In other words, it maps elements from one set to another in a way that preserves the operations on those elements.

2. What is the difference between a homomorphism and an isomorphism?

A homomorphism preserves the algebraic structure of a set, while an isomorphism also preserves the bijection (one-to-one mapping) between elements of two sets. In other words, an isomorphism is a special type of homomorphism where the function is both one-to-one and onto.

3. How do you calculate elements in a homomorphism?

To calculate elements in a homomorphism, you first need to identify the operation being used (e.g. addition, multiplication). Then, you can apply the function to each element in the set and use the properties of the operation to simplify the expression if possible.

4. What is the kernel of a homomorphism?

The kernel of a homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain that map to the identity element in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of elements that are mapped to the identity element by the homomorphism.

5. How is the image of a homomorphism calculated?

The image of a homomorphism is the set of all elements in the codomain that are mapped to by elements in the domain. To calculate the image, you can apply the function to each element in the domain and collect all the resulting elements in the codomain.