How are blood glucose monitoring modules installed in arms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) patches for managing diabetes, specifically the Freestyle Libre 2 which is now connected to iPhones. The patches work by placing a wire under the skin to measure interstitial glucose levels, which is then transmitted to a device that can deliver insulin doses to control glucose levels. This technology is also known as an artificial pancreas. The speaker also mentions personal experiences with their children who have diabetes and the use of CGM technology.
berkeman
Mentor
My wife asked me a good question, and even with moderate Google searching I couldn't answer her question about how the patches are installed in arms. How do these BGL monitoring patches work? Thanks.

1641690682332.png

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...yle-libre-2-now-connected-to-your-iphone.html

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is something I found here:

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.16.24 PM.png
p

It says they put a wire under the skin.
Sounds like a possible path for infection to me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.16.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.16.24 PM.png
    57 KB · Views: 92
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and jim mcnamara
It is called continuous glucose monitoring, CGM.
Explanation:
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...naging-diabetes/continuous-glucose-monitoring,
also called artificial pancreas.

A pin that measures interstitial glucose lives in the the transmitter. The gizmo is held in place with adhesive that your can replace. If you have a pump that can receive signals from the CGM, then you get small doses of insulin - like Humulin - periodically until your glucose level is under control. There is an app for it. This is the basis of an artificial pancreas.

I do not know how glucagon is delivered if it is at all.

Can you tell I have two adult kids who have screwed up their bodies doing free form diabetic control?

One is now wired in. She is doing well. The other one was so screwed up that a pancreatic + kidney transplant was done. Now he is completely housebound because of immunosupression. But he has a functioning pancreatic system. Works well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron, BillTre and berkeman

1. How is the blood glucose monitoring module inserted into the arm?

The blood glucose monitoring module is typically inserted into the arm using a small needle or cannula, similar to how an insulin pump is inserted. The module is usually placed just under the skin and can be easily removed and replaced when needed.

2. Is the installation of the blood glucose monitoring module painful?

The level of pain experienced during installation may vary from person to person. However, most individuals report feeling only a slight pinch or discomfort during the insertion process. Some modules also come with numbing agents to minimize any pain.

3. How long does it take to install a blood glucose monitoring module in the arm?

The installation process typically takes only a few minutes. However, it may take longer if the individual is new to using the module or if there are any complications during the insertion process.

4. Can anyone install a blood glucose monitoring module in their arm, or does it require a medical professional?

While some individuals may choose to have a medical professional install the module, it is possible for individuals to self-install with proper training and instruction. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider before attempting to insert the module on your own.

5. How often do blood glucose monitoring modules need to be replaced?

The frequency of module replacements can vary depending on the specific device and individual usage. However, most modules need to be replaced every 7-14 days. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper replacement intervals.