How Can Electric Fields Accelerate Ions in Solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of accelerating ions through electric fields in a solution containing salt, and the potential challenges and applications of such a process. It also mentions alternative methods of separating ions.
Mohamed Nedal
Hello everybody ,

We know it is possible to accelerate ions through electric field , this is in case of " Gas Ions " ...

But , when we put some salt ( i.e : NaCl salt ) in water , we get Na+ ions and Cl- ions also ,

If we made a circular chamber containing this solution and applied electric field ,

Would the ions able to be accelerated in the solution ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think is the mean free path of such ions in those types of mediums?

Zz.

I think it is very very small , but it just an idea ...

Assumed we have a lot of electrical energy , is that possible ?

Mohamed Nedal said:
I think it is very very small , but it just an idea ...

Assumed we have a lot of electrical energy , is that possible ?

But what's the point of doing that? With a mean free path that is so short, what you gain in acceleration is destroyed by just a single collision in a very short amount of time. Why do you think our accelerators are typically in ultra-high vacuum conditions?

Zz.

yes I know , It is just an idea ... :)

Let's look in another way , we have this solution and there is a magnetic field applied on ...

So , a separation for charges ( Ions ) will occur , and we can get electricity from this process , right ?

Google for "double layer" and "Wien effect".

That's just to give you some starting point so that you can educate yourself and don't waste your time reinventing the wheel. What happens in the solutions when the electric field is applied is researched for quite long. Hardly surprising.

When did "magnetic field" come into play here?

There are already simpler ways to separate ions, I'd that is what you are after.

I'm checking out of this one since I have zero clue on what this is all about.

Zz.

Can you list some of those ways , if you don't mind ?

1. What are acceleration ions in solution?

Acceleration ions in solution are charged particles that are accelerated in an electric field and dispersed in a solution. They play a crucial role in various scientific and technological applications, such as mass spectrometry and drug delivery.

2. How are acceleration ions in solution created?

Acceleration ions in solution can be created through various methods, such as electrospray ionization, laser ablation, or ion implantation. These methods involve applying an electric field to a sample in solution, which causes the ions to accelerate and disperse.

3. What is the significance of studying acceleration ions in solution?

Studying acceleration ions in solution can provide insights into the behavior of charged particles in different environments. Additionally, it can help in understanding the mechanisms of various processes, such as ionization and ion transport, which are essential in fields like biochemistry and materials science.

4. How are acceleration ions in solution detected and measured?

Acceleration ions in solution can be detected and measured using techniques such as mass spectrometry, ion mobility spectrometry, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. These techniques allow for the identification and quantification of different ions present in a solution.

5. What are some potential applications of acceleration ions in solution?

Acceleration ions in solution have various potential applications, such as in drug delivery, environmental monitoring, and nanomaterial synthesis. They can also be used in analytical techniques, such as ion chromatography and ion mobility spectrometry, to separate and identify different compounds in a solution.