How Can I Build a Homemade Particle Accelerator?

In summary, the individual expressing interest in building a particle accelerator is unqualified and should instead focus on a more achievable project such as building a cloud chamber. Building a particle accelerator requires specialized education and should not be attempted without proper supervision and knowledge of safety precautions. Previous threads on this topic have been locked due to safety concerns.
Interested user
TL;DR Summary
I have always been very interested in particle accelerators and what they can do so I thought, maybe I should try to build one?
I have very little knowledge on engineering or electrical engineering at the moment, which is why I would like to learn more about it. I have read many articles on them but I am still unclear of some of the materials required for something like this. I am very unqualified to be discussing something like this, let alone attempt to construct it. This is why I want to learn about one as well as learn the mechanical components and try to construct it. Please enlighten me on the concept of particle accelerators. Any information is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

• Haha
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed briefly for Moderation...

Interested user said:
Summary:: I have always been very interested in particle accelerators and what they can do so I thought, maybe I should try to build one?

I am very unqualified to be discussing something like this, let alone attempt to construct it. This is why I want to learn about one as well as learn the mechanical components and try to construct it.
Not many people are qualified to build a particle accelerator on their own, even small ones. It has been done, but generally within a group with a Mentor/Supervisor, and generally with at least part of an undergraduate education under your belt. See this for example:

https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/august-2010/the-do-it-yourself-cyclotron

Building a cloud chamber is a much more do-able goal, and would make a fun Science Fair entry:

https://www.sciencefriday.com/educational-resources/build-a-cloud-chamber/

The biggest issues with trying to build a particle accelerator have to do with safety. Accelerators involve high vacuum, high voltage, and dealing with the X-ray radiation that comes with accelerating charged particles. These are non-trivial issues, which is why we generally cannot allow discussions like this on PF. Hopefully this makes sense.

You can follow this link to see how long we've had this approach to this subject (click on the up-arrow to the right of V50's username to be taken to that thread, which also references other threads on the subject):

Vanadium 50 said:
Bobbywhy neglected to mention that both of those threads were locked because this is difficult and dangerous, especially if one does not have the proper background.

For safety reasons, this thread will remain closed.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is a homemade particle accelerator?

A homemade particle accelerator is a device built by individuals or small groups using simple materials and tools to accelerate particles to high speeds. It is typically used for educational or recreational purposes.

2. How does a homemade particle accelerator work?

A homemade particle accelerator works by using a high voltage power supply to create an electric field that accelerates particles, typically electrons, through a series of tubes or coils. The particles gain energy as they pass through these accelerating structures, eventually reaching high speeds.

3. What materials are needed to build a homemade particle accelerator?

The materials needed to build a homemade particle accelerator can vary, but typically include a high voltage power supply, vacuum pump, metal tubes or coils, and various electronic components. Some designs may also require a source of radioactive material.

4. Is it safe to build and operate a homemade particle accelerator?

Building and operating a homemade particle accelerator can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. High voltage electricity and radioactive materials can pose serious risks, so it is important to research and follow safety guidelines and wear appropriate protective gear.

5. What can you do with a homemade particle accelerator?

A homemade particle accelerator can be used for a variety of purposes, such as demonstrating the principles of particle physics, conducting simple experiments, or creating unique art pieces. It can also be a fun and educational project for science enthusiasts of all ages.