How Can I Calculate Arc Length Without a Calculator?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral without using a graphing calculator. The person is trying to simplify the integrand and has made a mistake in their calculations. They are then given a hint to group terms together to create a perfect square under the radical, and eventually realizes their mistake and thanks the others for their help.
lastdayx52
2ng5rg7.jpg

How in gods name do I do that? I attempted that integral and... it just can't be integrated!

What I tried:
ih5obl.jpg

That doesn't help one bit... How do I do this? NOTE: No graphing calculator is to be used.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have as the integrand
[tex]\sqrt{1 + (x - 1/(4x))^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \sqrt{1 + (x^2 - 1/2 + 1/16x^2)}[/tex]

When you group together the only terms that can be grouped, you'll have a perfect square under the radical.

when you squared out the (x-x/4)^2 you should have got 1/2 not 3/2. this should simplify things hopefully cause you should be able to factorise the numerator into
sqrt[(4x^2+1)^2]

Mark44 said:

When you group together the only terms that can be grouped, you'll have a perfect square under the radical.

Yes that gives me:
2945imx.jpg

However, what good is that, since there's still a 1 in there? I can't squareroot it to simplify...

latentcorpse said:
when you squared out the (x-x/4)^2 you should have got 1/2 not 3/2. this should simplify things hopefully cause you should be able to factorise the numerator into
sqrt[(4x^2+1)^2]

You do get 1/2, but I added a 1, therefore 3/2.

Mark44 said:

Continuing from this point...
[tex]= \sqrt{x^2 + 1/2 + 1/16x^2}[/tex]
The part under the radical is a perfect square. Surely you can take it from here!

OH... I added wrong... wow... Stupid mistakes FTL... Thanks all!

1. What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of a circle or other curved shape. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or inches.

2. How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using the formula L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle subtended by the arc in radians.

3. Can arc length be calculated without a calculator?

Yes, arc length can be calculated without a calculator by using basic geometry and trigonometry principles, such as the Pythagorean theorem and the sine and cosine functions.

4. What is the difference between arc length and circumference?

Arc length is the distance along a curved line, while circumference is the distance around the outside of a circle. Arc length is a portion of the circumference, and can be found by dividing the circumference by the central angle in radians.

5. How is arc length used in real-world applications?

Arc length is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture to calculate the distance along curved paths, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the length of an arc of a bridge. It is also used in navigation and mapmaking to measure curved routes or boundaries.