How can I calculate the maximum velocity of a car without considering friction?

• Thread starter wermichiel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the model is a car with weights dropping from certain height and propels the car forwards. The question is to find a theoretic maximum velocity (final velocity) as the mass of car/weight and the height of weights are constant. All the frictions are not taking in consideration.
wermichiel

Homework Statement

The model is a car with weights dropping from certain height and propels the car forwards. (Some GPE converted to KE knowledge involved.) And the question is to find a theoretic maximum velocity (final velocity) as the mass of car/weight and the height of weights are constant. All the frictions are not taking in consideration. We know the distance(s) and the time (t), also the M (mass of weights) and the H(height of weights).

Homework Equations

What I did is to measure the running time of car and the distance the car traveled within this time. Therefore, the work has done is completely equal to the kinetic energy. W=KE=GPE=mgh. (Due to the formula W=Fd, the force can be calculated. Then F=ma, acceleration of car has worked out. Finally the V, by Vt=V0+at, is calculated.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is that is this the easiest way to solve it? Is there any other method that can work without thinking so many procedures?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi wermichiel! Welcome to PF!
wermichiel said:
… (Due to the formula W=Fd, the force can be calculated. Then F=ma, acceleration of car has worked out. Finally the V, by Vt=V0+at, is calculated.

My question is that is this the easiest way to solve it? Is there any other method that can work without thinking so many procedures?

Yes!

Your formula W = Fd (for the work done) doesn't really work in this case (what is d?).

As you say, KE = GPE= mgh,

so just use KE = 1/2 mv2. :wink:

thanks for answering.
but what i trying to do is comparing the actual and theoretical final velocity
as I cannot measure the actual final velocity in the experiment, only average velocity can be worked out by Va= S/t =.=
however the KE=1/2mv^2 is dealing with the final velocity
this is where I am struggling
W=fd, f=force d=distance, w= work

a = 2(s - ut)/t2
ah! a formula is applied to this condition!
calculating the A by this way can avoid the calculation of work
then use V=U+at , there is the V!

What is final velocity?

Final velocity is the velocity of an object at the end of its motion, after all forces acting on it have been taken into account.

How is final velocity calculated?

Final velocity can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

What factors affect final velocity?

Several factors can affect final velocity, including initial velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative if the object is decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

Why is final velocity important?

Final velocity is important in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their future positions. It is also crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.