How can I calculate the strength of a beer can / soda can?

In summary, the author has tried to find a way to calculate the strength of a beer/soda can, but has been unsuccessful.
Mihai Ilie

Homework Statement

I am doing a project which involves making furniture out of beer/soda cans but I need to do some calculations for it.
I know the can can hold around 52 Kg or even more based on experimental results but is there any way to find out with some formulas?
I found it tricky because of the shape of the can...

Edit: The cans are empty.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mihai Ilie said:

Homework Statement

I am doing a project which involves making furniture out of beer/soda cans but I need to do some calculations for it.
I know the can can hold around 52 Kg or even more based on experimental results but is there any way to find out with some formulas?
I found it tricky because of the shape of the can...

Edit: The cans are empty.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

-
What question are you asking?

What have you tried?

I am asking if there is any way to calculate the strength of a empty beer / soda can based on the thickness of the wall or shape or something.

I tried looking for formulas for hollow tubes because I thought it would be similar but I couldn't get anything.

If there is no solution to this, I can consider for example that the can is a cylinder which can hold 50kg and add more cylinders next to each other in a square shape and try to determine the distributed weight they can all hold. Does the weight it can hold stack with each cylinder I add, like two cylinders can hold 100kg since one holds 50kg?
Are there any calculations I can do for that?

Mihai Ilie said:
I am asking if there is any way to calculate the strength of a empty beer / soda can based on the thickness of the wall or shape or something.

I tried looking for formulas for hollow tubes because I thought it would be similar but I couldn't get anything.

If there is no solution to this, I can consider for example that the can is a cylinder which can hold 50kg and add more cylinders next to each other in a square shape and try to determine the distributed weight they can all hold. Does the weight it can hold stack with each cylinder I add, like two cylinders can hold 100kg since one holds 50kg?
Are there any calculations I can do for that?
The title of the thread has the word "resistance". Strength would be a better word. Also, I see that you're new here: You should always include all pertinent information in the body of the Original Post of a tread, no matter what is included in the title.

By the way; Welcome to PF !

SammyS said:
The title of the thread has the word "resistance". Strength would be a better word. Also, I see that you're new here: You should always include all pertinent information in the body of the Original Post of a tread, no matter what is included in the title.

By the way; Welcome to PF !

Alright, thank you for the info. :D

1. How do I calculate the strength of a beer can / soda can?

To calculate the strength of a beer can or soda can, you will need to know the material of the can (typically aluminum or steel), the thickness of the can, and the dimensions of the can. You will also need to know the maximum load the can can withstand before it deforms or breaks. With this information, you can use engineering equations, such as the formula for stress = force/area, to calculate the strength of the can.

2. What factors affect the strength of a beer can / soda can?

The strength of a beer can or soda can is affected by several factors, including the material of the can, the thickness of the can, the dimensions of the can, and the manufacturing process used to create the can. Additionally, the type of beverage and the pressure inside the can can also affect its strength.

3. Can I determine the strength of a beer can / soda can without testing it?

In most cases, it is difficult to determine the exact strength of a beer can or soda can without testing it. However, you can make an educated estimate based on the material, thickness, and dimensions of the can, as well as the known maximum load of similar cans. Keep in mind that this estimate may not be entirely accurate, as variations in manufacturing and other factors can affect the strength of a can.

4. How can I test the strength of a beer can / soda can?

The most common way to test the strength of a beer can or soda can is by using a universal testing machine. This machine applies a force to the can until it deforms or breaks, allowing you to measure the maximum load the can can withstand. Alternatively, you can also use a hydraulic press or other types of equipment to test the strength of a can.

5. Why is it important to know the strength of a beer can / soda can?

Knowing the strength of a beer can or soda can is important for several reasons. It can help manufacturers ensure the cans they produce are strong enough to withstand the pressure of the beverage inside and prevent accidents. It can also help consumers understand the limitations of the can and handle it safely. Additionally, knowing the strength of a can can inform packaging and transportation decisions to ensure the cans are not damaged during shipping.