How can I find sounds or pronunciations on the Internet

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: Just go to the "Store" tile and do a search, putting the key words that you want. Next step: you find one and download it. However, if you have an android phone or tablet, look in the "Google Play Store" (or "Google Play"), as it is the "richest" apps store in the planet, as far as I know. Everything is there.(mostly free apps - same for the windows 8.1 microsoft store, etc.)
mech-eng
Hi. I would like to try to make a search for pronunciations and sounds, for example, of birds. How can I make a search for them. For example, I try to listen "chattering cry". I write it on the Google then look for videos but there was nothing. What would be the other options for this kinds of searches?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try googling "bird sounds"? This is the first hit. http://www.enature.com/birding/audio.asp

For pronounciations of words, forvo.com is great.

Nidum said:
Talking Dictionary There are lots of other ones .

RSPB Bird Song Collection Birdsong is on the small audio bar and on a Video for most birds listed .

Hi. Talking dictionary is confusing to me. Is it Cambridge's English dictionary. The link you gave directs me there. I can see a definition for it as
quick, repeated noises that some animals make but I cannot see this sound there. Meanwhile I am looking for a grinding sound now.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Hi. Talking dictionary is confusing to me. Is it Cambridge's English dictionary. The link you gave directs me there. I can see a definition for it as
quick, repeated noises that some animals make but I cannot see this sound there. Meanwhile I am looking for a grinding sound now.

Thank you.
What do you mean you are looking for a grinding sound? What searches have you already done? We are not your personal search engine.

Likes Tom.G and Asymptotic
Evo said:
We are not your personal search engine.
And google can perform a successful search in significantly less than 21 months...

Likes Vanadium 50, jtbell, DennisN and 2 others
russ_watters said:
And google can perform a successful search in significantly less than 21 months...
LOL, or for mech-eng may well be his first google search and hit the jackpot!

Likes russ_watters
Evo said:
We are not your personal search engine.
But there's a robot called Evo (youtube link). :biggrin:

DennisN said:
But there's a robot called Evo (youtube link). :biggrin:
I think we have the better of the Evos here.

Likes Stephenk53 and DennisN
Evo said:
What do you mean you are looking for a grinding sound? What searches have you already done? We are not your personal search engine.

I am searching for a grind sound in Google, but I asked about that Talking Dictionary.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Talking Dictionary
I've seen a couple of English pronunciation talking dictionaries. Or you can download an app. Have you thought of that?
Is that what you're looking for?
Birds? I'm not sure.

Stavros Kiri said:
I've seen a couple of English pronunciation talking dictionaries. Or you can download an app. Have you thought of that?
Is that what you're looking for?
Birds? I'm not sure.

Actually saying, I was looking for something to listen onomatopoeia such as grinding noise, bark, meow ...

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Actually saying, I was looking for something to listen onomatopoeia such as grinding noise, bark, meow ...

Thank you.
Ok. Did you look for an app? (e.g. android playstore, or for iphone, or for desktop computer etc.)

Stavros Kiri said:
Ok. Did you look for an app? (e.g. android playstore, or for iphone, or for desktop computer etc.)

No but I don't know the ways how I can look for an app for my windows 8.1 PC? I have been searching in the internet i.e websites.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
No but I don't know the ways how I can look for an app for my windows 8.1 PC? I have been searching in the internet i.e websites.

Thank you.
8.1 is my favourite. Just go to the "Store" tile and do a search, putting the key words that you want. Next step: you find one and download it. However, if you have an android phone or tablet, look in the "Google Play Store" (or "Google Play"), as it is the "richest" apps store in the planet, as far as I know. Everything is there.
(mostly free apps - same for the windows 8.1 microsoft store, etc.)

Last edited:
Likes mech-eng

1. How can I find sounds or pronunciations on the Internet?

There are several ways to find sounds or pronunciations on the Internet. One option is to use a search engine, such as Google, and type in the word or phrase you are looking for followed by the word "pronunciation" or "sound." Another option is to use a specialized dictionary or language learning website that offers audio pronunciations.

2. Can I search for specific accents or dialects?

Yes, there are websites that allow you to search for specific accents or dialects. For example, the International Dialects of English Archive (IDEA) provides audio recordings of people speaking English with different accents and dialects from around the world.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of the sounds or pronunciations I find?

It is important to use reliable sources when searching for sounds or pronunciations on the Internet. Look for websites that are well-known and reputable, such as language learning sites or dictionaries. You can also cross-reference multiple sources to ensure the accuracy of the sounds or pronunciations you find.

4. Is it possible to record and upload my own sounds or pronunciations?

Yes, there are websites and apps that allow you to record and upload your own sounds or pronunciations. This can be helpful if you are trying to learn a new language or dialect and want to practice speaking with native speakers or receive feedback on your pronunciation.

5. Are there any free resources for finding sounds or pronunciations?

Yes, there are many free resources available for finding sounds or pronunciations on the Internet. Some examples include Forvo, which has a large database of audio pronunciations from native speakers, and Google Translate, which offers audio pronunciations for words and phrases in multiple languages.