How can I find the centre of mass of a plate with constant density?

In summary, the plate would have to bounce by a certain distance (x-axis) and a certain distance (y-axis) for the integral to be meaningful. The density of the material would need to be constant for the integral to be accurate. The center of mass is located at (1,3/2) on the x-axis and the y-axis. The integral of the density function over a figure is the total density of the figure and is not the center of mass. To find the total area of a figure, one must first find the center of mass.
d_b
Hi. I'm not sure how to picture it on the x-y-axis.

I found this in the textbook:
If i have a plate bounce by 0<= x <=2 and 0<= y <= 3. and the density is constant. I'm looking for two integrals that corresponding to stirps in the x-direction and y-direction.

let say the density is 5gm/cm^2 then to integral should be finding the centre of mass right?? and using the center of mass how do i find the total area if i don't know the radius?? correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the centre of mass will be close to the x-axis then y-axis due to its momentum?

sorry I'm not really good in physics its hard to get my head around combining physics and cal together.

Physics news on Phys.org
d_b said:
Hi. I'm not sure how to picture it on the x-y-axis.

I found this in the textbook:
If i have a plate bounce by 0<= x <=2 and 0<= y <= 3. and the density is constant. I'm looking for two integrals that corresponding to stirps in the x-direction and y-direction.
If the density is constant, then the "center of gravity" is just the center which, for this rectangle, would be the point (1, 3/2).

let say the density is 5gm/cm^2 then to integral should be finding the centre of mass right??
Integrating WHAT? The integral of the density function over a figure is the total density of the figure, not the centre of mass. The integral of 1 over a figure is the area of the figure. Since the centre of mass of a two-dimensional figure involves two values (the x and y coordinates) there is no single integral that will give the centre of mass.

and using the center of mass how do i find the total area if i don't know the radius?? correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the centre of mass will be close to the x-axis then y-axis due to its momentum?
Typically, one finds the center of mass by by first finding the area rather tnan the other way around! And what radius are you talking about? The example you gave, a rectangle, doesn't have a "radius".

sorry I'm not really good in physics its hard to get my head around combining physics and cal together.
Perhaps it would be better to post this in a physics thread. And please post the actual problem itself! Are you talking about "Pappus' theorem" that states that the volume (not) area, of a 3 dimensional figure, formed by rotating a two-dimensional figure around an axis is the area of the figure times the circumference of the circle the centre of the figure describes during the rotation. That has nothing to do with "centre of mass" strictly speaking but it is easy to see that the centre of mass of an object with constant density is the same as its geometric centre.

Suppose the rectangle, 0<= x<= 2, 0<= y<=3, is rotated around the y-axis. As I said before its centre is just (1, 3/2) and the distance from that to the y-axis is just the x-coordinate of the centre, 1. The circle the centre describes in rotating around the y-axis has that radius, 1, and so circumference [itex]2\pi[/itex]. The area of the rectangle is, of course, 2(3)= 6 so Pappus' theorem says that the volume of the figure formes is [itex](6)(2\pi)= 12\pi[/itex].

Of course, that figure is just a cylinder with base radius 2 and height 3: its volume is the area of the base, [itex]\pi (2)^2= 4\pi[/itex] times the height 3, giving volume [itex]12\pi[/itex].

I doubt that is the question you are asking but I really have no idea what problem you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for helping...i found out how to find it. Also at first I got confuse between the length of a strip in two dimension and the area of a slice in 3 dimension because when you times length with delta x then you get an area, area times delta x you get volume...
and i just have to use the definition to find the centre of mass which is fairly easy...

Related to How can I find the centre of mass of a plate with constant density?

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume of a substance. It is typically expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter or kilograms per liter.

2. How do you calculate density?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The formula for density is D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume. This calculation is typically done using standard units of measurement, such as grams and cubic centimeters.

3. What factors affect an object's density?

The density of an object is affected by its mass and volume. Objects with larger masses and smaller volumes will have a higher density, while objects with smaller masses and larger volumes will have a lower density. The type of material an object is made of can also affect its density.

4. What is the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is the point in an object where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point at which an object will balance perfectly and remains stationary when placed on a pivot.

5. How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses in an object. This can be done by multiplying each mass by its distance from a reference point and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the object. The resulting value is the location of the centre of mass.