Centre of Mass of an empty and filled goblet

In summary, the goblet consists of a uniform thin hemispherical cup of radius r, a circular base of the same material thickness and radius as the cup, and an intervening stem of length r and whose weight one quarter of that of the cup.
Taniaz
1. A goblet consists of a uniform thin hemispherical cup of radius r, a circular base of the same material thickness and radius as the cup, and an intervening stem of length r and whose weight one quarter of that of the cup.
(a) Show that the height of the centre of gravity above the base is (13/14)r.
(b) If the mass of the goblet is M and that of the amount of liquid that fills it is M' . Show that filling it raises the centre of gravity through a distance (39/65) r (M'/M+M')
2. X = x1M1 + x2M2+...xnMn / M1+M2+...Mn
where x is the centre of mass of each body that makes up the goblet and M is their respective mass
3. I've managed to do part a where I've considered the surface densities of the hemispherical shell, the rectangular stem and since it's from the base, I considered the mass off the circle but the distance to the base would be 0.

So C.O.M of the hemispherical shell = r/2 + r (from the start till the base)
C.O.M of the stem is r/2 to the base
C.O.M circle = 0 since it's to the base itself

Then Mass = surface density x area ; surface density is represented by sigma
Area of hemisphere = 2 pi r^2 so m= 2 pi r^2 (sigma) Area of circle = pi r^2 so m = pi r^2 (sigma)
And m of stem = 1/4 (mass of hemisphere) = pi r ^2 /2

Plug it into the equation and you get 13/14 r

What I don't get is part b since they haven't mentioned whether how full the cup is? How do we find its centre of mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
What I don't get is part b since they haven't mentioned whether how full the cup is?
They say the liquid fills the cup.

Doc Al said:
They say the liquid fills the cup.
So wouldn't the centre of mass of the liquid be the same as that of the cup? I tried that, fit it into my equation but it still doesn't give me the required answer.
M( 13/14)r +M' (x) / (M + M') where x is the centre of mass of the liquid which I don't know.
Am I right in using surface densities? I used this because it said a thin cup and it's hollow as well. Or should volume densities be used?

Taniaz said:
So wouldn't the centre of mass of the liquid be the same as that of the cup?
Are the centers of mass of the solid and hollow hemispheres the same?

The centre of mass of a hemispherical shell is r/2 from the flat side and for a solid hemisphere it is 3r/8 from the flat side.

Taniaz said:
The centre of mass of a hemispherical shell is r/2 from the flat side and for a solid hemisphere it is 3r/8 from the flat side.
Good. Now make use of that fact.

I've tried but it's not worked. I have just been using surface densities and not volume densities to find the mass.

So for part a this is what I did: My diagram included a horizontal goblet with the x-axis as it's line of symmetry.
C.O.M of the hemispherical shell = r/2 + r (from the start till the base)
C.O.M of the stem is r/2 to the base
C.O.M circle = 0 since it's to the base itself

Then Mass = surface density x area ; surface density is represented by sigma
Area of hemisphere = 2 pi r^2 so m= 2 pi r^2 (sigma) Area of circle = pi r^2 so m = pi r^2 (sigma)
And m of stem = 1/4 (mass of hemisphere) = pi r ^2 /2 (sigma)

Then my equation for an empty goblet became:

(r/2 + r) ( 2 pi r^2 sigma) + (r/2)( pi r^2 /2 sigma) + 0( pi r^2 sigma) / ( 2 pi r^2 sigma + pi r^2 /2 sigma +( pi r^2 sigma)

the pi r^2 sigma terms cancel out leaving me with:

(r/2 + r) + (r/2)(1/2) / 2 + (1/2) + (1) = (13/4) r / (7/2) = (13/14)r

For part b, when they put in the liquid, what am I supposed to take, the surface density or the volume density? I'm not sure how to go about it. Even if I take it as the completely filled and I take the surface density, all I get is:

M(13/14)r + M' (r/2 +r) / (M+M') and simplifying this does not give (39/65) r (M'/M+M')

You have the center of mass of the empty goblet and of the filled liquid. Now find the center of mass of the system. (No need for any densities.)

For the centre of mass of the liquid, should I take it till the base if the goblet or just it's centre of mass alone?
So for the latter case my equation would become:

M (13/14)r +M'(r/2) / (M+M')
but how do I simplify this equation? I can't add the variables in the numerator?

Got it!
Basically we assume the liquid to be a solid hemispherical shell and not hollow so the c.o.m of the shell from the curved surface is 5/8 r but since it's to the base it will be 5/8 r + r where r is the length of the stem. Then because it's asking for the difference we basically have to subtract it from that of the empty goblet.
So the equation is
M'(5/8 r + r) + M(13/14)r / M+M'
- M (13/14)r/M
= 39/56 r (M'/M+M')

Good! :thumbup::approve:

Thank you.

Doc Al would you mind taking a look at the new question I posted please?

What is the centre of mass of an empty goblet?

The centre of mass of an empty goblet is located at the geometric center of the goblet. This is because the goblet is a symmetrical object with a uniform distribution of mass.

How is the centre of mass of a filled goblet different from an empty goblet?

The centre of mass of a filled goblet will be lower than that of an empty goblet. This is because the additional mass of the liquid will shift the centre of mass towards the bottom of the goblet.

How does the shape of the goblet affect its centre of mass?

The shape of the goblet does not affect its centre of mass as long as the goblet is symmetrical and has a uniform distribution of mass. The centre of mass will still be located at the geometric center of the goblet.

How can the centre of mass of a goblet be calculated?

The centre of mass of a goblet can be calculated by finding the geometric center of the goblet and taking into account the mass and distribution of the material used to make the goblet. The centre of mass can also be determined through experiments by balancing the goblet on a pivot point.

Why is the concept of centre of mass important in physics?

The concept of centre of mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the stability and movement of objects. The centre of mass is used to calculate moments, rotational motion, and gravitational forces. It is also a key factor in determining the equilibrium of an object.