How can I improve my knowledge in physics and math beyond A-level standard?

• Thread starter The Binary Monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary, Evo is a nice person who offers her hanky to people who need it. Jimmy is a bad person who is hob-knobbing.
The Binary Monster
Hey, guess who's new?

I just thought I'd post a thread and say hi. I'm 17, male, and I live in the UK. I currently attend sixth-form college... I will soon be studying Physics, Mathematics and Computing at A2 level. As well as this, I'll be studying Further Mathematics and Critical Thinking at AS level. I recently attained four A grades for my AS-level exams in Physics, Maths, Computing and Economics, and I am now dropping Economics and picking up both Critical Thinking and Further Maths.

I have a passion for physics and maths, and I love them both dearly... but I have a confession to make: I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to either subject. Compared to the average joe I expect I'm fairly advanced, but compared to those who have studied above A-level standard in the areas I know diddly-squat.

That's why I'm here, I guess. I want to learn. I want to learn more than I'm getting taught by college. I'm hoping that this forum will give me all the new information, ideas, challenges and arguments I'll need. Fingers crossed! Feel free to PM me with any advice, comments, or just to start a conversation. It'd be good to get talking to some of the people here - either those who know loads more than I do, or those in the same situation as me.
Thanks a lot!

:: Ben ::

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Binary Monster !

I am here pretty much for the same reasons I guess, and this is a great place with many interesting people. You will notice that when it comes to Math and Physics, their is a lot of material. But General Discussion might be the greatest forum.

:) Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I think for a while at least I'll stick to the General Forum - the rest may be a little too advanced for me until I know some more.

:cool:

Welcome, glad to see your apart of the community now.

I think you'll enjoy it here. You should always be able to find a topic to indulge yourself in, whether than be physics, mathematics, computer science, general discussion, etc.

No way, if you have any question, the mentors will be glad to answer. Anyway, our level is negligible as compared to the mentor's one :wink:

Welcome Binary Monster!

You will find many knowledgeable people here. I am not one of them. :wink: But I am nice. :biggrin:

Uh... Hurray for nice people! :biggrin:

Evo is the nicest she is almighty here ! So we love her. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Hehe, I'll remember that. All of it. :P

Yep, welcome to the board Binary Monster. If you take an interest to biology, I can assure you there are at least a few of us here who will try to answer your questions, however basic...you have to start learning someplace!

the most basic questions are often the most profound ones.

Why is night dark ? (I always use this question to illustrate the use of simple questions)

Because there is an absence of light from the Sun, and only a small amount of light from other sources? :P

Welcome to PF, Binary! :biggrin:

humanino said:
Evo is the nicest she is almighty here ! So we love her. :biggrin:
Humanino is racking up mega points. :biggrin:

Welcome to Physics Forums, Binary Monster!

The Binary Monster said:
Because there is an absence of light from the Sun, and only a small amount of light from other sources? :P

The deeper question is why is there a small amount of light from other sources if the universe is indeed infinite? Check out Olber's Paradox (various descriptions of this are available on the internet). It's an introduction to Big Bang theory.

Enjoy!

Hi. Welcome. I'm a nice person. Ignore the signs or the people that say "watch out for jimmy p" I'm not that bad really :-p

Evo said:
Welcome Binary Monster!

You will find many knowledgeable people here. I am not one of them. :wink: But I am nice. :biggrin:

Evo-bonics your such a joker! :smile: This lady has so much knowledge, she keeps it stuffed up her nose for lack of storage space in her brain. ~Werdas Queen Mom

OOOOpppsss, forgot my manners!

Welcome to PF, Binary Monster. For introduction, I am a 20 year professor teaching with one hand on a drop ledge. Therefore, please don't ask me intelligent questions.

Werdatothewise said:
Evo-bonics your such a joker! :smile: This lady has so much knowledge, she keeps it stuffed up her nose for lack of storage space in her brain. ~Werdas Queen Mom
This is why I follow ladies around, offering my hanky. You just never know what kind of magic might rub off on you. :smile:

Attention: Evo! Boulder is hob-knobbing!

Really, BoulderBabe! My advice to Evo-bonics is to wipe it on your face so it can travel to your brain. Less of a hassle for you! :smile: 'sides, you would look funny running behind my sistah Evo with your fingers up her nose. 'nevah cover a ladies face for you may miss the beauty within " ... ~Werdas'

Related to How can I improve my knowledge in physics and math beyond A-level standard?

What does "newbie" mean?

"Newbie" is a term used to describe someone who is new or inexperienced in a particular field or activity.

Why should we watch out for newbies?

Newbies may not have as much knowledge or experience as others in the field, so it is important to be patient and guide them in the right direction. They may also make mistakes that could affect the overall progress of a project.

How can we help newbies adjust to the scientific community?

We can help newbies by providing resources and guidance on how to navigate the scientific community. This includes networking opportunities, mentorship programs, and workshops or seminars on important skills and procedures.

What are some common mistakes that newbies make?

Newbies may make mistakes such as not following proper lab protocols, misinterpreting data, or not communicating effectively with their team. These mistakes can lead to setbacks in research or experiments.

How can experienced scientists effectively work with newbies?

Experienced scientists can work effectively with newbies by providing mentorship and guidance, being patient and understanding, and setting clear expectations and goals. It is also important to give constructive feedback and encourage the development of new skills.