How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

• Thread starter cs23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary, the individual is struggling with solving problems and feels like they are not learning anything. They have tried reading the book but get frustrated and give up. They have read that they should identify the problem, such as missing a key concept or not applying what was learned, but they are unsure how to do so. They are seeking suggestions and have found help in watching lectures by Walter Lewin and attending office hours for conceptual and problem-based questions.
cs23
I have a lot of difficulty when solving problems. I usually don't know what to do, but once i see a similar problem I can follow the structure and solve problem. But i feel I am not learning anything. I've tried reading the book but i usually don't get it and stop reading because of frustration.

I read somewhere that if having difficulty solving a problem you should identify the problem. Such as, whether a key concept was missed or applying what was learned. But i don't know how to identify which pertains to me.

Any suggestions would be very helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about introductory physics, go look up the lectures by Walter Lewin (youtube/itune). His lecture helped me survived mechanics and EM.

And always drop in during office hours to ask both conceptual or problem based question.

Related to How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

1. What is the definition of understanding a concept?

Understanding a concept means having a clear and comprehensive knowledge and comprehension of a specific idea, topic, or theory. It involves being able to explain and apply the concept in various contexts and situations.

2. How can one improve their understanding of a concept?

There are several ways to improve understanding of a concept, including actively engaging with the material through discussions, asking questions, and practicing applying the concept in different scenarios. Additionally, seeking out additional resources and seeking clarification from experts can also aid in improving understanding.

3. What are the benefits of understanding concepts?

Understanding concepts allows individuals to have a deeper and more meaningful understanding of a topic, which can aid in problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making. It also allows for the application and transfer of knowledge to different situations and contexts.

4. How can one assess their understanding of a concept?

Assessing understanding of a concept can be done through various methods, such as quizzes, tests, presentations, and discussions. Additionally, self-reflection and self-assessment can also aid in determining one's level of understanding.

5. Is understanding a concept the same as memorizing it?

No, understanding a concept is not the same as memorizing it. While memorization involves rote learning and recalling information, understanding a concept involves comprehending and being able to apply the concept in different contexts. It requires a deeper level of critical thinking and analysis.