How can I know if two stars came from the same cluster?

• Thread starter Frank Einstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining if three stars from Orion's belt came from the same cluster based on their spectral types and distance from Earth. The individual also asks for resources on determining the absolute luminosity of a variable star, specifically Betelgeuse. A suggested paper provides an explanation for the most plausible absolute magnitude of Betelgeuse.
Frank Einstein
Hi everybody; I was wondering if there is a way of knowing if two stars came from the same open cluster knowing the distance fron these to the earth, the distance between them and their spectral types.

If someone can pont me to a book or webpage where I can learm about that, it would be very helpfull.

It's for an exercice in which I am asked about the possibility that the three stars from Orion's belt came from the same cluster since all sahre type B0.

Thanks for reading.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This may answer some of your questions:

http://eaae-astronomy.org/WG3-SS/WorkShops/Cluster.html

Likes Frank Einstein
Indeed it does; so if I have three relatively close B0 stars I can assume that they might come from the same cluster since all of them are in the main phase?

Another thing I can't find online is how to measure the absolute luminosity of a variable star; in this case I am tallking about Betelgeuse; the only information I have is that it's period if of six years an that it's relative visibility changes between 0.4 and 0.6. I have found online sone diagrams made by Henrietta Swan Levitt, but I can't find an equation which can give me the absolute magnitude.

Frank Einstein said:
Indeed it does; so if I have three relatively close B0 stars I can assume that they might come from the same cluster since all of them are in the main phase?

Another thing I can't find online is how to measure the absolute luminosity of a variable star; in this case I am tallking about Betelgeuse; the only information I have is that it's period if of six years an that it's relative visibility changes between 0.4 and 0.6. I have found online sone diagrams made by Henrietta Swan Levitt, but I can't find an equation which can give me the absolute magnitude.

Apparently you are not the only one having difficulty determining the absolute magnitude of Betelgeuse. The following paper explains in why Mv = -5.85 is the most plausible explanation for Betelgeuse's absolute magnitude.

A New VLA-Hipparcos Distance to Betelgeuse and its Implications - The Astronomical Journal, Volume 135, Number 4 (2008) (free issue)

Likes Frank Einstein
Nice, this helps me. Thanks.

Related to How can I know if two stars came from the same cluster?

1. How can I determine the age of a star cluster?

The age of a star cluster can be determined by analyzing the brightness and color of its stars. Younger stars will appear brighter and bluer, while older stars will appear dimmer and redder. This is known as the main sequence turnoff point.

2. Is it possible for two stars to have the same age but come from different clusters?

Yes, it is possible for two stars to have the same age but come from different clusters. This is known as coevality and it occurs when two star clusters form at the same time and have the same initial chemical composition.

3. What other factors can affect the similarity of stars in a cluster?

Other factors that can affect the similarity of stars in a cluster include their distance from each other and the amount of interstellar gas and dust present in the cluster. These factors can alter the stars' evolution and make them appear less similar.

4. Can stellar evolution impact the similarity of stars in a cluster?

Yes, the process of stellar evolution can impact the similarity of stars in a cluster. As stars age, their physical properties, such as temperature and luminosity, can change, making them appear less similar to stars of the same age.

5. How accurate are methods used to determine if two stars came from the same cluster?

The accuracy of methods used to determine if two stars came from the same cluster depends on the quality and quantity of data available. In general, the more precise the data, the more accurate the results will be. However, there is always a margin of error in any scientific measurement.