How can I learn more advanced physics?

In summary, if you want to start learning more advanced physics, you could look into University Physics by Young and Freedman, or watch online class lectures.
CallumC
I want to start learning more advanced physics, help?

Basically I am a fifth year in Scotland (16 years old) and I am away to sit my higher exams which will decide whether I can get into uni to study physics or not.

The problem is physics in school isn't moving at a fast enough pace for me and I want to learn more. We've done all the basics properties of matter E=mc2 etc but I am craving knowledge.

It's no good watching documentaries etc no matter how interesting they are I want to understand Physics properly and not in layman terms.

How would I go about teaching myself physics.

Share you advice and experiences, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I basically feel like I'm not being challenged enough in school, does anyone know how I can learn more advanced physics by teaching myself?

The answer would likely depend on whether you are in kindergarten or college. Should we guess?

You can teach yourself advanced physics, but be prepared to teach yourself advanced mathematics as well. It is difficult to master the former without a thorough grounding in the latter.

phinds said:
The answer would likely depend on whether you are in kindergarten or college. Should we guess?
We could ask politely, without the unnecessary sarcasm. That would be a good first step.

phinds said:

That should make the OP feel welcome here...

By the way I'm away to go into my lasts year at school. I understand Electronics, properties of matter and Newtonian physics quite well :) I'm hoping to do physics at uni

Do well in your exams first and stay on for sixth year and take advanced highers.

If you want to start looking at more advanced physics you could look at "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. This is the first and second year textbook for physics at Glasgow University and so will overlap with things you will do at advanced higher. It is quite expensive so might be worth finding a copy in a library somewhere.

But I stress to focus on doing well in your exams first.

CallumC said:
It's no good watching documentaries etc no matter how interesting they are I want to understand Physics properly and not in layman terms.

Well, if you like the documentaries but aren't getting enough "rigor" out of them, the next step is to start watching online class lectures. You can find thousands of these on you-tube. Just run a search for whatever you're interested in. Also, a lot of the "KhanAcademy-ish" amateur tutorials are also interesting and informative, and sometimes even fun.:-p That way, you can continue to "couch potato" your way into the subject. Not a bad way to ease into it. Then, once you got your sea legs, you can start getting more serious with the textbooks, formal classes, and journal articles! And most importantly, continue to visit and participate in PF, these folks will steer you right!

craig_241 said:
Do well in your exams first and stay on for sixth year and take advanced highers.

If you want to start looking at more advanced physics you could look at "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. This is the first and second year textbook for physics at Glasgow University and so will overlap with things you will do at advanced higher. It is quite expensive so might be worth finding a copy in a library somewhere.

But I stress to focus on doing well in your exams first.

Yeah I will definitely focus on my exams they are only in a few weeks, I think I need to get 4 A's to get into uni for it :/ pretty nervous atm

DiracPool said:
Well, if you like the documentaries but aren't getting enough "rigor" out of them, the next step is to start watching online class lectures. You can find thousands of these on you-tube. Just run a search for whatever you're interested in. Also, a lot of the "KhanAcademy-ish" amateur tutorials are also interesting and informative, and sometimes even fun.:-p That way, you can continue to "couch potato" your way into the subject. Not a bad way to ease into it. Then, once you got your sea legs, you can start getting more serious with the textbooks, formal classes, and journal articles! And most importantly, continue to visit and participate in PF, these folks will steer you right!

Thanks I've starting watching some Leonard Suskind lectures on gravity and they're really quite interesting!

Related to How can I learn more advanced physics?

1. How do I build a strong foundation in advanced physics?

To build a strong foundation in advanced physics, it is important to have a solid understanding of the basic concepts and principles of physics. This includes topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also helpful to have a strong mathematical background, as advanced physics involves complex equations and calculations.

2. What resources are available for learning more advanced physics?

There are many resources available for learning advanced physics, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and scientific journals. It is also helpful to attend lectures and seminars by experts in the field and participate in discussions with other students and scientists.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in advanced physics?

To improve problem-solving skills in advanced physics, it is important to practice solving problems regularly. This will help you become familiar with different types of problems and develop strategies for approaching them. It is also helpful to work through problems with others and seek feedback from experts.

4. What are some common challenges in learning advanced physics?

Some common challenges in learning advanced physics include understanding complex concepts, applying mathematical equations, and visualizing abstract theories. It is important to stay persistent and seek help when needed. It may also be helpful to break down difficult concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning advanced physics?

To stay motivated while learning advanced physics, it is important to set specific goals and track your progress. It can also be helpful to find a study group or mentor who can provide support and encouragement. It is also important to take breaks and engage in activities outside of studying to avoid burnout.