How can I solve this differential equation for quadratic resistance?

In summary: So it was just a simple case of me being silly then. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation related to quadratic resistance and the resulting terminal velocity. The participant is struggling with getting the correct sign for the answer and asks for help. After some calculations and clarifications, it is determined that the error was caused by a wrong definition of the terminal velocity. The correct solution is provided and the participant expresses gratitude for the help.
fayled
I'm solving a differential equation to do with quadratic resistance and it seems to be acting very strangely - I get the opposite sign of answer than I should. If anybody could have a quick look through that would be much appreciated.

For a particle moving downward and taking positive upwards, I have
mdv/dt=-mg+bv2

The terminal velocity comes out at vl=-√(mg/b) (negative as it obviously has its terminal velocity downwards).

Substituting this in gives
dv/dt=-g(1-(v/vl)2)

Now make the substitution z=v/vl so dv/dt=vldz/dt. Then we obtain

vldz/dt=-g(1-z2)

Noting that 1/1-z2=0.5[(1/1+z)+(1/1-z)] and separating variables we get

∫[(1/1+z)+(1/1-z)]dz=-2g/vl∫dt

Integrating each side then gives (the initial conditions are v=0 at t=0 so the constant of integration is zero)

ln(1+z/1-z)=-2gt/vl.

Next let k=vl/2g so that

ln(1+z/1-z)=-t/k

e-t/k=1+z/1-z

e-t/k-ze-t/k=1+z

z(1+e-t/k)=e-t/k-1

z=(e-t/k-1)/(e-t/k+1)

Therefore

v=vl[(e-t/k-1)/(e-t/k+1)]

Now, the correct answer should be

v=vl[(1-e-t/k)/(1+e-t/k)]

i.e

v=-vl[(e-t/k-1)/(e-t/k+1)]

which must be right because as t→∞, v→vl which by the definition of vl is expected.

I've spent a lot of time trying to work out where I'm going wrong and it's driving me crazy. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
fayled said:
I'm solving a differential equation to do with quadratic resistance and it seems to be acting very strangely - I get the opposite sign of answer than I should. If anybody could have a quick look through that would be much appreciated.

For a particle moving downward and taking positive upwards, I have
mdv/dt=-mg+bv2

The terminal velocity comes out at vl=-√(mg/b) (negative as it obviously has its terminal velocity downwards).

Substituting this in gives
dv/dt=-g(1-(v/vl)2)

Now make the substitution z=v/vl so dv/dt=vldz/dt.

Probably better to define [itex]v_0 = (mg/b)^{1/2} > 0[/itex] so that terminal velocity is [itex]-v_0[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] increase in the same direction.

Then we obtain

vldz/dt=-g(1-z2)

Noting that 1/1-z2=0.5[(1/1+z)+(1/1-z)] and separating variables we get

∫[(1/1+z)+(1/1-z)]dz=-2g/vl∫dt

Integrating each side then gives (the initial conditions are v=0 at t=0 so the constant of integration is zero)

ln(1+z/1-z)=-2gt/vl.

Next let k=vl/2g so that

ln(1+z/1-z)=-t/k

e-t/k=1+z/1-z

e-t/k-ze-t/k=1+z

z(1+e-t/k)=e-t/k-1

z=(e-t/k-1)/(e-t/k+1)

Therefore

v=vl[(e-t/k-1)/(e-t/k+1)]

I believe this is correct.

Now, the correct answer should be

v=vl[(1-e-t/k)/(1+e-t/k)]

ie.

v=-vl[(e-t/k-1)/(e-t/k+1)]

which must be right because as t→∞, v→vl which by the definition of vl is expected.

I think you have confused yourself. You've defined [itex]k = v_l/2g[/itex] and you initially defined [itex]v_l[/itex] to be negative, so [itex]k[/itex] is negative. It follows that [itex]-1/k[/itex] is positive, so that [itex]e^{-t/k} \to \infty[/itex] as [itex]t \to \infty[/itex]. Thus your answer
[tex]
v=v_l \frac{e^{-t/k}-1}{e^{-t/k}+1} \to v_l < 0
[/tex]
as required.

On the other hand, if you define [itex]v_l[/itex] to be positive then [itex]-1/k[/itex] is negative, so that your answer tends to [itex]-v_l < 0[/itex] as required.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
Not quite. If you're defining [itex]v_l = (mg/b)^{1/2} > 0[/itex] then you should find that [itex]v \to -v_l[/itex]. You're measuring displacement upwards but the object is moving downwards so [itex]v < 0[/itex]. That's consistent with the answer you got yourself, and there is as far as I can see no error in your calculation.

But I defined it as vl=-(mg/b)1/2...

fayled said:
But I defined it as vl=-(mg/b)1/2...

I only noticed that after replying, since it's extremely unnatural to do that. More normal would be to define [itex]v_l = (mg/b)^{1/2}[/itex].

I have now edited my post accordingly.

pasmith said:
I only noticed that after replying, since it's extremely unnatural to do that. More normal would be to define [itex]v_l = (mg/b)^{1/2}[/itex].

I have now edited my post accordingly.

Ah right, thankyou very much.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives, and is often used to model natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables and their derivatives. ODEs are used to model systems with one variable, while PDEs are used to model systems with multiple variables.

3. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, Euler's method, and numerical methods such as Runge-Kutta. In some cases, differential equations can also be solved using computer software.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze systems and phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics.

5. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are essential in science because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They allow scientists to create models and make predictions based on mathematical equations, which can then be tested and refined through experimentation. Many important discoveries and advancements in science and technology have been made possible through the use of differential equations.