How can I speed up RUSTING STEEL?

In summary, to make a sheet of 1/4" steel rust through completely in a short amount of time (2-3 weeks), it is recommended to add high heat and moisture or sprinkle it with a salt solution. Coca cola can also be used for added moisture. Using a torch, wetting it with water, and/or adding salt and an acid can also speed up the oxidization process. Electrolysis can also be used to make the steel rust. However, it may take longer for deep rust to occur and a strong acid like hydrochloric or sulfuric can quickly eat through the metal.
samadams
I want to make a sheet of 1/4" steel rust through completely in a short amount
of time (2-3 weeks).

What is the best way to accomplish this, if possible?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
add high heat and moisture. Simplest way to speed up oxidization.

Sprinkle it with salt solution.

high heat, salt, and coca cola for the moisture (there's probably some commercially available acid that will speed it up even more, although that might not count as rusting)

So a torch it, wet it with water, and/or salt and an acid, and repeat?

That will continue to oxidize and eat thru that much steel?

I wonder what your plan is...

whatever it is, if he can make watching metal rust interesting, he has succeeded

samadams, you might find this useful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm beginning to believe that deep rust can't happen overnight,
as I'm only seeing surface rust with the different things I've tried.

But a strong acid, like hydrochloric or sulfuric would eat thru the metal
rather quickly?

1. How does rusting occur in steel?

Rusting occurs when iron molecules in steel react with oxygen and water molecules in the air, forming iron oxide (rust).

2. What factors affect the speed of rusting in steel?

The speed of rusting in steel is affected by the presence of oxygen, moisture, and electrolytes (such as salt), as well as the temperature and acidity of the environment.

3. Can I speed up rusting in steel by adding more moisture?

Yes, adding more moisture to the environment will speed up the rusting process. Water is necessary for rusting to occur, as it allows the iron and oxygen molecules to come into contact with each other.

4. Will a higher temperature accelerate the rusting of steel?

Yes, a higher temperature can speed up the rusting process in steel. This is because higher temperatures increase the rate of chemical reactions, including the reaction between iron and oxygen.

5. Is there a way to prevent or slow down rusting in steel?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent or slow down rusting in steel. These include using protective coatings (such as paint or oil), using corrosion-resistant alloys, and keeping the steel away from moisture and oxygen. Rust inhibitors can also be added to materials to slow down the rusting process.