How Can I Understand the Solution for Diodes Homework in Electronics?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving diodes and voltage regulation. The person is asking for help understanding a solution that was provided, which includes a picture that is too fuzzy to read. They mention that the diodes have a voltage of 0.7 each and that diodes 3 and 4 will only conduct if the input voltage is positive, while diodes 1 and 2 will only conduct for negative input voltage. The output voltage at B cannot go below -2V and attempting to do so will result in increased current flow through a 5k resistor. The person also notes that the diodes are working as voltage regulators.
Alkozy

Homework Statement

A picture of the problem is provided in the attachment

Homework Equations

there is no special relations except
I= Is x e^(vd/Vt)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have a solution for from the solution manual but i do not understand it
like the I2 equation i don't get reasonable values when i substitute VD for any value > 1 or even 1
i attached the solution that i do not understand
if someone can help please

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 361
  • diodes .png
    diodes .png
    29 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be bothered to provide a clear description ? Of the problem and also of the part you don't understand.
Your pictures are so fuzzy my eyes hurt after discerning 0.025 which is 1/40 which I recognize as kT for room temp, so I don't think there is much wrong with that diode equation. What is it that goes wrong for you ? (Note that with 5 k##\Omega## you don't expect currents exceeding 1 mA anyway).

BvU said:
Can you be bothered to provide a clear description ? Of the problem and also of the part you don't understand.
Your pictures are so fuzzy my eyes hurt after discerning 0.025 which is 1/40 which I recognize as kT for room temp, so I don't think there is much wrong with that diode equation. What is it that goes wrong for you ? (Note that with 5 k##\Omega## you don't expect currents exceeding 1 mA anyway).
i am sorry for the fuzzy picture. it is the pic of the solution which i don't understand. leave it alone
the first pic is about the question and it is clear
what i know about the problem: that the diodes have 0.7 voltage each as VD
diodes 3 and 4 only will conduct if the input voltage VA is positive. in this case there will be an output voltage at both C and B ( C is that output before the 1k ohm R )
for a negative voltage diodes 1 and 2 only will conduct and for this case there will be output voltage at B only

how much?
this is what i am asking for

note: these diodes are working as voltage regulators

Last edited:
The output voltage at B is unable to go more negative than -2V. If you try to send it more negative than this by giving A a large negative voltage, then increased current flows through the 5k resistor via the diodes, and this results in more voltage dropped across the 5k resistor—leaving still 2V across the pair of diodes.

This assumes the diodes are within their current rating and don't overheat or burn out, and the voltage across each when conducting can be approximated as 1V.

Note: if it is not possible to provide a clear image, we expect you to remedy this by typing out the relevant equations and text yourself, preferably using LaTex. Blurred images help no one.

Likes BvU

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of a semiconductor material, typically silicon, with two terminals - an anode and a cathode. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, current flows through the diode. However, when the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the diode blocks the flow of current.

2. What are the different types of diodes?

There are several types of diodes, including the standard diode, Zener diode, Schottky diode, and light emitting diode (LED). Each type has its own unique properties and applications. For example, Zener diodes are commonly used for voltage regulation, while LED diodes are used for lighting.

3. How are diodes used in electronic circuits?

Diodes are used in electronic circuits to control the flow of current. They can be used to rectify AC current to DC, protect sensitive components from reverse voltage, and regulate voltage levels. They are also commonly used in signal processing circuits, such as in radios and televisions.

4. What is the symbol for a diode and how is it represented in a circuit diagram?

The symbol for a diode is a triangle with a line on one side and an arrow pointing away from the line. In a circuit diagram, it is represented as a triangle with a line and an arrow pointing in the direction of current flow. The anode is typically represented as a line and the cathode as an arrow pointing away from the line.

5. How do I test a diode to determine if it is working properly?

To test a diode, you can use a multimeter set to the diode test function. Place the positive lead on the anode and the negative lead on the cathode. If the diode is functioning properly, the multimeter will display a voltage reading in the forward direction and no reading in the reverse direction. If the readings are the opposite, the diode is faulty and needs to be replaced.