How Can I Use Axioms to Prove x^2 ≥ 0?

In summary: For example, if you're dealing with the case where x > 0, you might try to use A5 and A7 to show that x = 0, a contradiction. If you're dealing with the case where x = 0, the result is obviously true. If you're dealing with the case where x < 0, you might try to use A4 and A6 to get a contradiction there.
dreter98
Homework Statement
I need to prove using the axioms ive added that X^2>=0 (x^2>0 or x^2=0). Im unsure what im doing ive attached what ive done so far
Relevant Equations
(A1) If x∈F and y∈F, then x+y∈F.
(A2) (commutativity of addition) x+y = y+x for all x,y∈F.
(A3) (associativity of addition) (x+y)+z = x+(y+z) for all x,y,z∈F.
(A4) There exists an element 0∈F such that 0+x = x for all x∈F.
(A5) For every element x∈F there exists an element−x∈F such that x+(−x) = 0.
(M1) If x∈F and y∈F, then xy∈F.
(M2) (commutativity of multiplication) xy = yx for all x,y∈F.
(M3) (associativity of multiplication) (xy)z = x(yz) for all x,y,z∈F.
(M4) There exists an element 1∈F (and 16= 0) such that 1x = x for all x∈F.
(D) (distributive law) x(y+z) = xy+xz for all x,y,z∈F.
(x)(x)>0 (D)
(x+(-x))(x+(-x)) >0 (A4)
x^2 + 2(-x)(x) + (-x)^2 >0 (D)
x^2 - 2x^2 + (-x)^2 >0
-x^2 + (-x)^2 >0

Physics news on Phys.org
None of the field axioms you listed say anything about the total order ##<##. I suspect you should also have the following axioms to describe an ordered field.

For all ##x,y,z\in F##,
1) If ##x>y##, then ##x+z>y+z##
2) If ##x>0## and ##y>0##, then ##xy>0##

Can you prove the assertion using these axioms? One approach is to use trichotomy and separately deal with the cases ##x<0## and ##x=0## and ##x>0##.

Likes PeroK and sysprog
sorry yes I do have the order axioms, I have only just started learning this so I have no idea what the assertion is sorry

By "the assertion" I just mean the problem statement that ##x^2\geq 0## for all field elements ##x##. Try dividing into the cases ##x>0## and ##x=0## and ##x<0## like I suggested.

Likes sysprog and dreter98
How would I go about proving x=0 and then referencing into x^2 = 0, would it be (x)(x) = 0?

dreter98 said:
Homework Statement:: I need to prove using the axioms I've added that X^2>=0 (x^2>0 or x^2=0). I am unsure what I am doing I've attached what I've done so far

(x)(x)>0 (D)
This isn't the distributive property. It says that a*(b + c) = a*b + a*c.
dreter98 said:
(x+(-x))(x+(-x)) >0 (A4)
No, this isn't true. By A5, x + (-x) = 0, so (x + (-x))(x + (-x)) can't be positive.
dreter98 said:
x^2 + 2(-x)(x) + (-x)^2 >0 (D)
Yes, this is distribution, but it takes a couple of steps to get here. Since the previous step is not true, that puts this step into question.
dreter98 said:
x^2 - 2x^2 + (-x)^2 >0
-x^2 + (-x)^2 >0
Again, not true. -x^2 + (-x)^2 = 0 -- it's not positive.

dreter98 said:
How would I go about proving x=0 and then referencing into x^2 = 0, would it be (x)(x) = 0?
Your goal isn't to prove that x = 0 -- it's to prove that for any arbitrary x in whatever field you're working with, that ##x^2 > 0## or ##x^2 = 0##. You might start by looking at three separate cases: x < 0, x = 0, or x > 0, and using the axioms that @Infrared mentioned.

Likes etotheipi, sysprog and Infrared

1. What does "x^2 ≥ 0" mean?

The notation "x^2 ≥ 0" means that the square of any number, represented by x, is greater than or equal to zero. In other words, any number squared will result in a non-negative number.

2. How do you prove that x^2 ≥ 0?

To prove that x^2 ≥ 0, we can use the concept of mathematical induction. This involves showing that the statement is true for a base case (such as x = 0) and then proving that if it is true for a certain value of x, it is also true for the next value of x. This process can be repeated infinitely to show that the statement holds for all possible values of x.

3. What is the significance of "A4, D" in the statement "Prove x^2 ≥ 0: A4, D"?

The notation "A4, D" refers to the specific method or approach that is being used to prove the statement. In this case, it could represent a specific theorem or rule that is being applied to prove that x^2 ≥ 0.

4. Can you provide an example to demonstrate that x^2 ≥ 0?

Yes, for example, if we take x = 2, then x^2 = 4, which is greater than 0. Similarly, if we take x = -3, then x^2 = 9, which is also greater than 0. This shows that the statement x^2 ≥ 0 holds true for both positive and negative values of x.

5. Why is it important to prove that x^2 ≥ 0?

Proving that x^2 ≥ 0 is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many mathematical proofs and applications. It also helps us understand the properties of numbers and their relationships, which is crucial in solving more complex mathematical problems.