How can the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) be simplified?

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of the Maclaurin series for sin x when squared to get sin^{2}(x). The (-1)^{n} term becomes (-1)^{2n}, which can be simplified to a series that is still alternating. The post then goes on to discuss possible methods for algebraically simplifying the series, including using the half-angle property, the Cauchy product, or finding the derivatives of sin^{2}(x).
John112
since the maclaurin series for sin x is alternating in sign (EQ1) so when you square it to get sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](x) (EQ2) the (-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex] should become (-1)[itex]^{2n}[/itex] (EQ3) which can be simplified down to (EQ4), but when i checked that series at wolframalpha the series was still alternating like: Why is that? So when we square it do we ignore squaring the (-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex] and put that after we're done squaring the series?In the above post when I say EQ#, I'm referring to these equations
140jd7c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to think that ##\left(\sum \alpha_n\right)^2 = \sum \alpha_n^2##. This is of course false. It's the same thing as saying that ##(x + y)^2 = x^2 + y^2##.

micromass said:
You seem to think that ##\left(\sum \alpha_n\right)^2 = \sum \alpha_n^2##. This is of course false. It's the same thing as saying that ##(x + y)^2 = x^2 + y^2##.
I can now see why sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](x) should be alternating, but how would I then simplify this algerbracially? how would I simplify ##\left(\sum \alpha_n\right)^2## ? Is using the half angle property for sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](x) my only method?

Last edited:
John112 said:
I can now see why sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](x) should be alternating, but how would I then simplify this algerbracially? how would I simplify ##\left(\sum \alpha_n\right)^2## ? Is using the half angle property for sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](x) my only method?
It's probably the easiest way to go.

John112 said:

The half-angle property is indeed the easiest way. But there also is a explicit way to multiply two series. This is called the Cauchy product: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_product So you can solve it with this too, but this is a lot more complicated.

Another way is to explicitely find the derivatives of ##\sin^2(x)## and see if you can find a pattern. But this is also not a very simple way to go.

1. What is a Maclaurin series for sin^2(x)?

A Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) is a mathematical representation of the function sin^2(x) using a sum of terms involving powers of x. It is centered at x=0 and is a special case of a Taylor series.

2. How is the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) derived?

The Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) is derived by first finding the Taylor series for sin(x) and then squaring each term in the series. The resulting series can then be simplified to the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x).

3. What is the general form of the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x)?

The general form of the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) is:
sin^2(x) = x^2 - (1/3!)x^4 + (1/5!)x^6 - (1/7!)x^8 + ... = ∑(-1)^n (1/(2n+1)!)x^(2n+2)

4. How accurate is the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x)?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) depends on the value of x used. Generally, the closer x is to 0, the more accurate the series will be. However, as x gets larger, the error in the approximation also increases.

5. What is the significance of the Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) in mathematics?

The Maclaurin series for sin^2(x) is important in mathematics because it allows for the approximation of the function sin^2(x) using a simpler polynomial expression. It is also used in applications such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve various problems involving trigonometric functions.