How can the molar flow rate of a two-gas mixture be calculated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of molar flow rate for two gases and the potential use of average or mass balance to determine the combined flow rate. However, the participants ultimately conclude that mass balance is necessary to accurately calculate the total molar flow rate of a mixture of gases.
vishnu123
TL;DR Summary
Is there any way to calculate the molar flow rate of the mixture of gaseous?
I have two Gases where i know the molar flow rate of each gas. Is there any way to calculate the molar flow rate of the two gases together or is it just the average of the two molar flow rates?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why average?

If there is 1 mole/min of one gas, and 1 mole/min of other gas, average is 1 mole/min also, and it would tell you individual flows are 0.5 mole/min for both gases - yet we assumed there is 1 mole/min. So in some way and for some reason average doesn't work. Can you think why?

thank you for your reply. i think the average won't work because of the percentage flow of each gas.

What about mass balance?

ok, I don't know much about that, can you please explain it in detail.

Basically: mass is conserved (this is one of the most basic principles governing classical physics and chemistry), mass can't disappear, whatever gets in, must get out.

so what you say is it has to be divided by the molar mass of the individual gas?
for example 60%of Hydrogen and 40%of nitrogen to calculate it
(.6*molar flow of H2/molar mass of H2)+(0.4*molar flow of N2/molar mass of N2)
is it right?

You have lost me. Initially you said you know individual molar flows, now you have 40/60 mixture that can be either v/v or w/w. I have never tried to address the other problem.

What mass conservation tells you is that the mixture of 40/60 is 100% in total.

Total molar flow should be the sum of the individual molar flow rates.

AND...conservation of mass and conservation of moles is essentially the same thing unless there is a reaction happening which produces a different number of moles of product vs reactants.

What is the definition of molar flow rate of mixture?

The molar flow rate of mixture is the amount of substance flowing through a cross-sectional area per unit time, expressed in moles per second.

How is molar flow rate of mixture calculated?

Molar flow rate of mixture can be calculated by multiplying the total flow rate by the mole fraction of each component in the mixture.

Why is molar flow rate of mixture important in chemical reactions?

Molar flow rate of mixture is important in chemical reactions because it helps determine the rate of reaction and the amount of each component involved in the reaction.

How does temperature and pressure affect molar flow rate of mixture?

Temperature and pressure can affect the molar flow rate of mixture by changing the volume and density of the substance, which in turn affects the number of moles present in a given volume of the mixture.

Can molar flow rate of mixture be used to determine the composition of a mixture?

Yes, molar flow rate of mixture can be used to determine the composition of a mixture by calculating the mole fraction of each component and comparing it to the known composition of the mixture.