How Can You Shave Without Cutting Yourself?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cutting
In summary, people generally recommend electric shavers for people who will need to shave for the rest of their life, as they tend to be more reliable than blades.
Lisa! said:
I'd tell that person that since this gift is so dear to me and I am afraid of damaging it, I'm not going to use it!o:)

She's not incredibly bright, but I don't think that she'd fall for that one. Appreciate the suggestion, though. :smile:

Bob, ripping out by the roots is exactly what this thing does, as long as it's a short whisker. If I skip a day (I don't usually shave on days off), the hairs won't even go through the guard to where the blades are. And the blades on this one are not replaceable.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
If you get an electric razor, just remember to buy new blades once in a while. Eventually they transition from cutting your whiskers to ripping them out by the roots. An electric razor with dull blades is worse than duct tape.
Sounds like an epilady! :rofl: You can go longer between shaves if you rip out the hairs by the roots. :biggrin:

Any disposable razor with two or more blades will do a fine job without too many nicks. I've noticed it's really hard to gouge out chunks of skin with multiple-blade razors, while it's still possible with the single blade ones (as if you can even FIND single blade razors). I got a free sample of a razor with 4 blades not long ago. :rolleyes: It's getting ridiculous (it actually was pretty useless...I think so many blades forces the whole thing into an angle that doesn't actually cut anything anymore...but you certainly won't nick your skin with one of those).

Love living nick-free for a year or so :smile: :biggrin:

BryanP said:
Love living nick-free for a year or so :smile: :biggrin:

Congrats! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Any disposable razor with two or more blades will do a fine job without too many nicks. I've noticed it's really hard to gouge out chunks of skin with multiple-blade razors, while it's still possible with the single blade ones (as if you can even FIND single blade razors). I got a free sample of a razor with 4 blades not long ago. :rolleyes: It's getting ridiculous (it actually was pretty useless...I think so many blades forces the whole thing into an angle that doesn't actually cut anything anymore...but you certainly won't nick your skin with one of those).

I remember an old spoof ad in the 1970's, might have been on Saturday Night Live. There were real ads showing the advantages of double-blade razors over single-blade. The spoof carried it too the extreme, with a 4- or 5-blade razor being even better than double-blades. Now, 30 years later, the joke has become reality :smile:

I've got a pretty nice Norelco that is WAY better than the Brauns that I have been using for the last 20 years. New razors take a while to break in. The razor companies like to say that your skin and beard need to get used to the different razor types. That is a bunch of crap. The truth is that the blades need to wear into the guides in order to reach maximum sharpness and stop pulling on your whiskers. If you disassemble one of these 3-head Norelcos for a thorough cleaning, the manual tells you to keep the blades and guides matched up. 'Nuff sed!

Here is my advice:

Length of time since last shave is very important. If its been a while, your hair is long, and it is going to snag and hurt using a regular razor blade. (I use a mach 3 razor, its good). If your hair is long, get an electric shaver and shave it down as low as you can first. Then, use the regular razor and foam to take it down the rest of the way. Dont go straight for the razor. Its going to hurt.

If you shave regularly, just use some foam and shave AFTER you take a shower. Your skin will be soft and it should be easier to shave. (But, this doesn't really matter all that much.)

I shave with the grain when I start out. Once I am done, I go back over it all again against the grain to get a very close shave. I use NIVIA (german company) shaving cream. Its good stuff.

After your done use aftershave like aqua velva.

I have a short beard because its easier than shaving all the time, and I look good in a beard so I just leave it.

I was getting ready for work today really fast. Shaved, then put on shirt, flipped collar to put tie on, but then blood went on shirt... ah hell!

Cyrus said:
If your hair is long, get an electric shaver and shave it down as low as you can first. Then, use the regular razor and foam to take it down the rest of the way. Dont go straight for the razor. Its going to hurt.

If you haven't shaved in a while (like removing a beard) you need the electric clippers (the dog grooming clippers) to take off the first thick layer. Actually, pop a #40 blade on them and you won't need to use a razor (might get a bit of razor burn though). That's the blade used to shave animals for surgery. :biggrin: It's definitely better than when I first learned surgery in a lab course and was given a rabbit and a single-edge razor blade to shave it. :bugeye: The rest of my lab group was too afraid to try (which was kind of silly since we were going to cut much bigger holes into the rabbit before we were done, and once the lab was over, were euthanizing it, so razor burn really wasn't an issue). I was the only one who shaved the surgical site on the rabbit without nicking anything. :approve: